Thread: Would you buy Cat S repaired

Would you buy Cat S repaired

As per the title - would you buy a Cat S repaired car? Assuming the repair was a good one & you were planning to keep the car until it was 7 or 8 yrs old?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    For a relatively new car to be classed as category 'S', it needs to have sustained pretty severe structural damage, so I'd pretty much say no.

No major issue with buying a category 'N' write-off though, as a replacement door, wing, headlight (bolt on stuff) is all that's usually required....
    Needs to be priced right of course...
    Current Daily: 2008 Lexus GS300 Sport F/L
    Current: E39 525i M Sport (Titan Silver)
    Previous: E34 520i SE (Orient Blue)

BMWHaus Guru
    No, not a Cat S. I think of it as S for it got a real Smack and N for just a bit of a kNock.

A Cat N car wouldn't scare me as long as there was evidence of what happened and the repair but it'd always be worth less and harder to sell. However, I wouldn't want a Cat S as there would always be questions about how well the damage was repaired.

Thanks guys - pretty much what I was thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    Then again, if it had an engineers report, you were keeping it long term and it was relatively cheap, it may be worth a punt ! Certainly if it's a relatively rare car/performance car etc. - definately not if it's a run of the mill rep-mobile/family wagon like....

Modern crash repair techniques using OE parts from a reputable repair shop can give impressive/perfectly safe results.
    Current Daily: 2008 Lexus GS300 Sport F/L
    Current: E39 525i M Sport (Titan Silver)
    Previous: E34 520i SE (Orient Blue)

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Big H View Post
    Then again, if it had an engineers report, you were keeping it long term and it was relatively cheap, it may be worth a punt ! Certainly if it's a relatively rare car/performance car etc. - definately not if it's a run of the mill rep-mobile/family wagon like....

Modern crash repair techniques using OE parts from a reputable repair shop can give impressive/perfectly safe results.
    I agree with that. If I was doing mega mileage and expected the future value to be zero anyway then I wouldn’t really care