Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M-ASK2 coding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

M-ASK2 coding

Hi all,

E60 LCI

I retrofitted Sa603 business navigation. Everything fires up fine but there is obviously a warning that the unit is not correctly coded.

I added $603 to the VO/FA in both CAS&LMA
    Then tried to code CAPPL but it failed with an error. Stupidly I don’t remember the code as I lost the screenshot from my phone.

Do I need to change the vin in tool32 first before I code?

TIA
    Jd

BMWHaus Guru
    It could be down to the version of your Daten files. Ideally get the error you saw when trying to code the unit. Were you using ExpertMode in NCS Expert when default coding the module.

BMWHaus Guru
    I’ve literally just solved the problem. I must be turning blonde, I used the wrong code it should be SA606 not 603. Now I correctly see MASK module instead of CAPPL and can access it with NCSexpert.
    Just need to change the vin using tool32 and then tweak the coding of the mask.

I’ve lost Bluetooth for some reason. Another day’s work.

Thanks anyway for your reply Rebel!

BMWHaus Guru
    Did you buy a complete kit John? Want to retrofit sat nav to my own

BMWHaus Guru

M-ASK2 coding

Not exactly.
    I had previously bought the antenna back when I was doing the BT retrofit.
    Got the 5m fakra coax cable on Ali express for just a few €.
    Eventually found a mask2 business-nav on eBay for €100, made an offer and bought it.

Fitting the antenna was a ballache, the glue holding on the shark fin is serious stuff and it’s hard to get it off cleanly without a paint chip or two.
    If your car has nav prep or telematics you probably already have it installed.

It came with a 2018 disc (copy) which seems to have decent up to date coverage.

BMWHaus Guru
    Ok having another issue.

Since installing the M-ask2 i've lost Bluetooth.
    I thought coding the Mask2 would restore functionality but it did not, everything else ok though.

My VO had SA633 and I added SA606 for the NAV.
    Thinking SA633 was somehow not compatible i changed it to SA638 and re-coded the M-ask2. I now see an SMS menu but still no Bluetooth.

i don't want to try SA644 as that's for a MULF not a TCU.

in the i-drive settings menu there is an option to activate bluetooth but it wont let me tick the box.

I've checked the MOST connector at the TCU and there is a red light(i though i might have disturbed the most connector)

Any ideas what to check or do next ?
    I cant diagnose the TCU via INPA or read it's coding via NCSexpert so is it a physical communication issue i wonder... ?

I`ll check with ISTA-D later if there is a break in the MOST loop.

Cheers,
    John

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by John_D View Post
    Ok having another issue.

Since installing the M-ask2 i've lost Bluetooth.
    I thought coding the Mask2 would restore functionality but it did not, everything else ok though.

My VO had SA633 and I added SA606 for the NAV.
    Thinking SA633 was somehow not compatible i changed it to SA638 and re-coded the M-ask2. I now see an SMS menu but still no Bluetooth.

i don't want to try SA644 as that's for a MULF not a TCU.

in the i-drive settings menu there is an option to activate bluetooth but it wont let me tick the box.

I've checked the MOST connector at the TCU and there is a red light(i though i might have disturbed the most connector)

Any ideas what to check or do next ?
    I cant diagnose the TCU via INPA or read it's coding via NCSexpert so is it a physical communication issue i wonder... ?

I`ll check with ISTA-D later if there is a break in the MOST loop.

Cheers,
    John
    Couldnt wait till i got home, had a play with it in work. removed the glovebox fibre loop and re-connected. bluetooth started working again but the sound is cutting in and out (radio/CD/BT etc...).

so i likely have a break somewhere in the MOST loop or a failing TCU... funny how it happened after i swapped the M-ask. no pinched cables that i can see.

BMWHaus Guru

M-ASK2 coding

Update. I’ve gone though the optical cables and can’t find a fault. I’m getting light at the diagnostic connection at the glovebox which implies the TCU is connected ok as its upstream of it. When I shine a light on the diag plug I also get a light at the mask most connector.( should I see it at both fibres? I.e back through the TCU to the mask ?)

When I try to communicate with the TCU I get coapi2020 IFH-0009 error(no response)

I’m a bit stumped now.

BMWHaus Guru
    I used tool32 to change the vin of mask2.prg
    However all the modules in the mask still show the wrong vin
    I wonder is the MOST GW not working right due to a wrong vin or a newer firmware not compatible with my TCU..?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by John_D View Post
    I used tool32 to change the vin of mask2.prg
    However all the modules in the mask still show the wrong vin
    I wonder is the MOST GW not working right due to a wrong vin or a newer firmware not compatible with my TCU..?
    Further developments.. i'm getting intermittent connection with the TCU as i`m driving. The TCU will always pair with my phone but every few seconds will connect with the M-ASK then drop off, all the while the radio sounds are cutting in and out and i-drive becomes unresponsive. pulling the bypass loop restores i-drive and audio.
    i re-installed the old CHAMP and everything works perfectly as it should, BT connects straight away and no MOST interruptions.

so the problem is 100% with the new M-ask2 nav unit. should i bother trying to flash it(especially the MOST gateway) or try to return it ?

Any advise appreciated...