Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E46 Business CD Aux Input / Recoding required?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

E46 Business CD Aux Input / Recoding required?

Hi,

I’m trying to install an aux input into my e46 Business CD stereo. The stereo is post-09/2002.

I have so far tried two different aftermarket cables and in each case they fit into the back of head unit no problem but the Aux option doesn’t appear, the Mode button still only cycles between CD and Radio. I assumed the first cable I bought was just faulty, but the same issue appearing with two separate cables suggests the problem is elsewhere.

Neither of the cables are OEM so I suppose there is still a (slim) chance they both were dodgy cables.

But I’ve also read a few places that sometimes you need the stereo re-coded to allow the Aux option to show up, particularly if the battery has been replaced (incidentally I actually did have to jump the car last week so I don’t know if that’s maybe something to do with it).

Anyway, has anyone ever encountered this problem before? And if I do need to get the stereo coded is there anyone you can recommend to do it, or does this need to be done by a dealer?

Cheers

BMWHaus Guru
    Do you have a cd changer in the boot and if you do make sure you disconnect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    No there is no CD changer in the boot. Actually that makes me wonder what the other 10 pin connector plug in the back of the head unit is for?
    Last edited by CitizenKane; 27-01-19 at 12:04.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I plugged my aux cable into the back of the radio and it recognised it straight away. I got a genuine bmw one alright though.

As far as I know the other connector is for the OEM Bluetooth system.

BMWHaus Guru
    It appears there are way more variants of the Business CD stereo than I realised:

https://e46radio.com/category/e46-head-units/page/2/

Mine is apparently the Siemens VDO one, but according to that page it should be compatible with Aux.

The only other possibility I can think of is that the cables I bought don’t work because they don’t appear to have resistors on them like the OEM one does, which is apparently the thing that makes the head unit recognise the Aux input.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

BMWHaus Guru
    Update - I finally got my hands on an OEM Aux cable and, lo and behold, it works! So the two aftermarket cables I tried before were obviously just garbage. Just another lesson to stick with OEM if you can.

Anyway, now all I need to do is figure out how to mount the Aux input into the little compartment below the stereo. The installation instructions only show you how to install it in the glove box, which seems like a pretty stupid location to me.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I have seen chaps put it in the ashtray which is a good place, or run it to the cupholders by the hand-break. Usually you need to do a little drilling. I put mine in the glovebox cause I didnt want to drill the car. The glovebox closes fine with it coming out the back, and run it under the trim along the transmission tunnel and beside the passenger seat, always there when you need it and when you want the car neat just tuck it away.

You will need to remove the headunit, aircon and trim around the transmission lever. The clips on these bit are not brittle and its a super easy job. If you have the double din nav unit, its a flippin mare to get out the first time, with its fiddly little push in both sides at the same time system.

Depends where you keep your phone I suppose. Glovebox is a 30 second job the others are not.
    All me beemers are gone.....for now.

BMWHaus Guru
    Thanks Moe! I didn't think of the glovebox installation the way you are describing it - I just assumed this would mean I would need to keep the phone/iPod inside the glovebox all the time. I'm slightly struggling to picture how you're describing it, though. Any chance you could do me a massive favour and take a photo of what yours looks like?

BMWHaus Contributor
    Sorry its off have its subframe done......best I can do is this pic. Bring it to the glovebox, just poke it through the gaps with a coat-hanger with the cable tapped to it. Once there connect a cable to it and run that cable as shown, you can tuck it up between the carpet and the trim and you cannot see it (get a black wire). I just leave mine down by the passengers seatbelt clip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All me beemers are gone.....for now.

BMWHaus Guru
    Legend, thank you!

Looking at this, I wonder if my cable is different to yours - I recall from another thread yours is aftermarket? Mine has a female Aux input with a mounting plate (pic below). So what I was thinking was I'd need to mount this somewhere (e.g. in the compartment under the climate control) and could then plug my device into it with a short male-male Aux cable.

11811_x600.jpg

When you say you need to remove the aircon and gearknob trim, is that only if you are running the cable down to the ashtray or cupholders? If I'm installing it in the little compartment under the aircon I assume I have to remove the aircon unit itself, but not any other trim?
    Last edited by CitizenKane; 15-02-19 at 10:20.