Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix Yellow, Love it or hate it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Phoenix Yellow, Love it or hate it?

Phoenix Yellow was the launch colour for the E46 M3. I remember when I first saw it, not being particularly impressed with it....Vomit Yellow sprang to mind!!!

I think the E46 M3 is ageing particularly well. As the E46 M3 ages, I think the more risqué colours are actually now cooler that the standard silvers and greys. Phoenix yellow has actually grown on me a lot, to the point that it's actually now one of my favourite colours in an E46 M3. just like the E9 CSL, I think the loudest colours like Inca Orange and Taiga Green have aged the best.

I'd be interested to see if others share my opinion. So....a quick question.

Do you like Phoenix yellow or hate it on an E46 M3?

BMWHaus Contributor
    I agree. PY really appeals to me. I would think that its more nostalgia than a love for the colour. I see that pic above and thats exactly how I remember a M3 looking when I saw it on top gear as a younger petrol head, and now when I see one it just seems right. I also think tastes are more towards colours at the moment, and people seem to want something other than your grey, black or blue car of the austerity years.
    All me beemers are gone.....for now.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    I agree. PY really appeals to me. I would think that its more nostalgia than a love for the colour.
    That's a fair comment Moe......I had to think about that for a second but I don't think it applies in my case as I never liked the colour to start off with. However, I'm sure there a lot of petrol heads coming of age now who have the money to buy a nice E46 M3 and PY was their first memory of the car when they were a lot younger and a lot poorer.

BMWHaus Guru
    Horrible on launch, horrible now. I don't mind colours that are a bit more out there - but phoenix yellow is like something you puke up after the contents of your stomach has long been emptied.

BMWHaus Guru
    I don’t love it or hate it. I can see why people like it, but it wouldn’t be my preference.

BMWHaus Guru
    I was probably the same where it would not have been for first preference in an E46 M3 in the early days. But as the years went on it has drawn me. One of the guys I dealt with on Maxwell Motors was trying to sell me one years ago. Two brothers hade bought two PY cars with sequential reg numbers, like me with my cousin and our 2002 Turbos.

The guy I bought my Alpine White car from has a PY car which has has always wanted and looks very nice indeed. There used to be a ‘02 car floating around Swords on 18’s and was a very nice thing indeed.

Administrator
    When PY is fully detailed and the paint is popping it's an impressive colour. But its certainly marmite....I'd live with it!

BMWHaus Contributor
    I'd love it. I'd probably prefer it to carbon black

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    I think the reason for the changing view is that first owners want something that is a bit distinctive, but not too distinctive. A few years down the road and subsequent owners, especially when it becomes a toy, then part of the point is to be distinctive. As part of that people will also seek out some of the rarer colour combo’s.

As with others, I would have thought of PY as a bit loud but a pal bought one recently and it really has aged well. The point about it popping when it’s properly detailed.
    Current: BMW 530e M-Sport - '17, BMW 630i Sport auto - '07, BMW 325i Coupe - '93, BMW Z4 2.5si Auto - '07, '90 BMW 316i Lux.

Previous: BMW 328i Coupe - '96, BMW 530i SE auto - '07, BMW 530i Sport auto - '02, BMW 318i SE Touring - '07, BMW 330Ci Sport - '04, BMW 520d SE - '11, BMW 523i SE - '00, BMW 328i SE Touring - '00, BMW 523i SE - '97, BMW 323i SE - '98, 330Ci - '00, 325i Coupe - '93, 318Ci - '01, 316iSE - '98, 325iSE 2dr - '91, 320i Conv - '91, 325i Coupe - '92, 320i 2dr - '91.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by dergside View Post
    A few years down the road and subsequent owners, especially when it becomes a toy, then part of the point is to be distinctive.
    I think you are spot on Dergside......as a toy it's a great colour but as a daily driver when it was brand new, it would have been a brave move by the first owner.

Unsurprisingly, PY has spilt opinion and I think it always will. I am actually surprised that it seems to be getting more likes than dislikes.