Thread: BMW Sales - Add-ons

BMWHaus Guru

BMW Sales - Add-ons

So I am looking a picking up a 172 5 Series and after all the figures were done the following little extras were also suggested / included in the pricing, totaling around €1,300:

€300 Gardx - Nano type coating
    https://www.gardx.co.uk/

€399 Smart Insurance: "Provides a small SCRATCHES body repair system that will keep your vehicle in showroom condition, without compromising your no-claims bonus."
    https://www.joeduffy.ie/offers/finance/smart-insurance/

€599 Shortfall Insurance: in the event of a write off this covers the difference between the insurance payout and invoice price of the car, so in theory you can get back into something current of similar standard.
    https://www.joeduffy.ie/offers/finan...et-protection/

Now including the overall €1,300 in the financing of the car does not make a massive difference I suppose but just wanted to see what the general feeling is on this stuff -- value in it or just like every after sales add-on a money racket/gimmick...

BMWHaus Guru
    I had a similar conversation with someone in a dealership yesterday. I wouldn’t knock the products, but typically these add on’s have a large margin for the dealer and sales person. Put the €1300 in the bank and take personal responsibility for the scuffs you cause, bird shit you leave for too long on the paint, etc. and when the money is depleted the just take a bit more care of your car or care a bit less about your car. It’s up there with insurance based products that they try to sell you with TV’s and iPods.
    Current: BMW 530e M-Sport - '17, BMW 630i Sport auto - '07, BMW 325i Coupe - '93, BMW Z4 2.5si Auto - '07, '90 BMW 316i Lux.

Previous: BMW 328i Coupe - '96, BMW 530i SE auto - '07, BMW 530i Sport auto - '02, BMW 318i SE Touring - '07, BMW 330Ci Sport - '04, BMW 520d SE - '11, BMW 523i SE - '00, BMW 328i SE Touring - '00, BMW 523i SE - '97, BMW 323i SE - '98, 330Ci - '00, 325i Coupe - '93, 318Ci - '01, 316iSE - '98, 325iSE 2dr - '91, 320i Conv - '91, 325i Coupe - '92, 320i 2dr - '91.

BMWHaus Guru
    Forget the poorly applied Gardx for a start. In fact none of them are worth having, gap insurance is probably the one that is least crap, but is for an event that in 27 years of driving hasn’t happened to me, a total write off of a car.

I agree with the above, Keep your money and pay a good detailer to apply a coating if it's something you'd like done.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    I wouldn’t go for any of them but I would bring the car to a detailed for a ceramic coating if I wanted to spend a few hundred euro getting it looking right

Administrator
    AVOID GardX - if a coating interests you, get a professional to do it, but you'll pay more than 300 for that as the paintwork will need prep work including at minimum some light polishing (which wont be done at the dealership)

I was buying into the Smart Insurance until I read that the defects cant be more than 15cms long...and on thinking after, it's only a localised repair, so good chance the job wont be a perfect match as they wont paint a whole bumper for example.

The Smart Insurance isn't bad I suppose but how likely is a total right off on a car with a high value?? If you had a shares portfolio would the 600 quid be better invested and cashed out in the unlikely event.

BMWHaus Contributor
    As others have mentioned, these are high margin items generally, the only one I would give thought to is the smart repair, especially if you are going to hold the car for 3 years or more. Just over a tenner a month is handy insurance against stuff like minor dings & bumper scuffs

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Had experience with Nissan garage , 1st - was just a joke . 2th - these Uk idiots can't even do touch ups ,I can't even think what they can do with bigger scratches .3th - up to U , depends how long U want to have a car
    Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

Quote Originally Posted by eddiem74 View Post

€599 Shortfall Insurance: in the event of a write off this covers the difference between the insurance payout and invoice price of the car, so in theory you can get back into something current of similar standard.
    https://www.joeduffy.ie/offers/finan...et-protection/
    I'm with Chubb their insurance policy does all the regular stuff plus covers for a set replacement amount which you agree at the start of the year. Better value than the above.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    I'm with Chubb their insurance policy does all the regular stuff plus covers for a set replacement amount which you agree at the start of the year. Better value than the above.
    My cousin recently bought a new Panamera Hybrid. Couldn't get cover off any of the regular insurers and Chubb covered him before he left the Porsche garage, seems they provide a great service.