Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E46 Aftermarket Head Unit Options (OEM look and Steering Wheel Control Functionality)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

E46 Aftermarket Head Unit Options (OEM look and Steering Wheel Control Functionality)

Hi,

To date I've resisted fitting an aftermarket head unit because I wanted to maintain the OEM look and I enjoy the steering wheel control functionality. However after a fair amount of time and effort fitting various different Aux connections to my OEM head unit I've come to the conclusion that I need an aftermarket head unit if I want decent sound quality, particularly as I am trying to play music through my 160GB iPod Classic which I just can't seem to get to sound good through an Aux connection into this head unit.

So I am looking for a head unit that won't look too out of place in my centre console and, if possible, work with the steering wheel controls. Can anyone recommend a head unit that might achieve this?

I have been considering an Alpine UTE-200BT, because it looks relatively subtle and apparently has full RGB spectrum illumination so I could get the display the same orange colour as the rest of the lights on the dash board. The only question is whether I can get it to work with the steering wheel controls, which apparently I can do with a kit like this from eBay.

Has anyone ever gotten steering wheel controls to work with an aftermarket head unit like this?

Many thanks!

BMWHaus Guru
    Sales pitch coming. I will be selling the head unit from my M3 soon if that’s of any interest. It is similar to the fancy factory set up but with usb, phone connection and even reverse camera. It will be coming out if the car in a few weeks. Unfortunately I don’t have any decent pictures. I would say it’s a Chinese brand.

BMWHaus Guru
    I'd possibly be interested, but it would be good to see some pics! Does it work with the steering wheel controls?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenKane View Post
    I'd possibly be interested, but it would be good to see some pics! Does it work with the steering wheel controls?
    It does. I will get a picture over the next day or two.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Some of those ebay chineese ones are a very good match and install looks fairly simple. You have not had much luck with that aux connection
    All me beemers are gone.....for now.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Some of those ebay chineese ones are a very good match and install looks fairly simple. You have not had much luck with that aux connection
    Unfortunately not

BMWHaus Guru

E46 Aftermarket Head Unit Options (OEM look and Steering Wheel Control Functionality)

You could just get the factory iPod connection.

If you want Bluetooth after you can also just get a module that goes from the 30 pin Apple connection to Bluetooth.

Bovee 1000 Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface Adapter for in Car iPod Integration https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B52LL..._YeZXCbYK72T6Z

I have the above in the Lexus and it's very good.

If you don't mind spending, you could fit an NBT, I did it in the M5 and it was the best mod I did to the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Dave; 29-04-19 at 18:16.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    You could just get the factory iPod connection.

If you want Bluetooth after you can also just get a module that goes from the 30 pin Apple connection to Bluetooth.

Bovee 1000 Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface Adapter for in Car iPod Integration https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B52LL..._YeZXCbYK72T6Z

I have the above in the Lexus and it's very good.

If you don't mind spending, you could fit an NBT, I did it in the M5 and it was the best mod I did to the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Unless I'm thinking of something different, I heard the factory iPod connection isn't great and it only allows you to play music through playlists or something?

Wireless adapter isn't much good as all of my music is on an iPod classic! Archaic I know but it's the only device I can fit all of my music on to (it's 160GB) so I'm reluctant to move away from it. I'm usually the first to embrace new technologies, but for some reason I can't seem to get into Spotify and the like.

NBT looks really cool, but not sure I'm up for spending that much...

BMWHaus Guru
    Here is my stereo. Works fine off steering wheel. Camera was never connected.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Here is my stereo. Works fine off steering wheel. Camera was never connected.
    Will send you a PM!