Thread: Review - Orchard Autocare Hydrophobe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Review - Orchard Autocare Hydrophobe

I finally got annoyed with Rain-X and decided to try something different. I've never managed to apply rain-x without getting streaks or wiper judder. As much as I love its effect on water, I generally hate the stuff so I ordered some hydrophobe from Detailing Shed a couple weeks ago and put it on the car over the weekend.

The instructions for hydrophobe are:
    - spray on a wet screen
    - leave for a few seconds
    - hose off.

First I cleaned the glass with Halfords glass cutter (whatever else you think of Halfords, glass cutter is pretty good at cleaning all crap off windscreens, including rain-x). Then I hosed down the windows, sprayed on hydrophobe, gave it a couple of seconds and hosed the windscreen again. So far so good. Got a bit of a shower on the motorway on the way home today and happy so far - the water ran off immediately, no need for wipers, and no streaking when I put the wipers on at lower speeds.
    As it only went on on Sunday I have no idea how long it lasts.

Pros: retard-proof application, works as advertised
    Cons: None (yet)

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Review - Orchard Autocare Hydrophobe

Have used the stuff myself and the application is 'retard proof'. Durability I found was about 1 to 2 months but the ease of application makes up for that. Fould it useful in the freezing weather when defrosting the glass the warm water would sheet away and not re freeze on the screen

BMWHaus Contributor

Given the ease of application I wouldn't mind if I had to reapply it every 2 weeks

Administrator

Thanks for that review!

The Super Hydrophobe that has been released recently has reports of 18 months. Its flying off the shelf so is hard to get hands on it.
    I dont know how idiot proof it is though!

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: RE: Review - Orchard Autocare Hydrophobe

Quote Originally Posted by Curran
    Thanks for that review!

The Super Hydrophobe that has been released recently has reports of 18 months. Its flying off the shelf so is hard to get hands on it.
    I dont know how idiot proof it is though!
    Got my hands on the super stuff but will wait for more reviews on best way of application :P