Thread: Ireland Declares Climate Emergency

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketron View Post
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/1229/1103466-electric-car/

Petrol and diesel ban on new sales from 2030. Be interesting to see how that will work out.
    Not gonna happen. Even in 50 years. Serious lack of understanding of the scale of infrastructure required to power all cars if everyone went electric, never mind actually generating this electricity. The minister should be sacked and put away as far as possible from decision making process for being this dumb. Scary to think these are the people who are in charge of legislations.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokyMo View Post
    Not gonna happen. Even in 50 years. Serious lack of understanding of the scale of infrastructure required to power all cars if everyone went electric, never mind actually generating this electricity. The minister should be sacked and put away as far as possible from decision making process for being this dumb. Scary to think these are the people who are in charge of legislations.

I think you're right. Would the planned interconnect to France provide the power generation requirement? Personally I think nuclear is the way to go anyway, especially the upcoming GEN6, but no new plants are being built and they take decades to get from planning to completion. The supply side of it may be feasible when you can recharge at home, but a large majority of people living in cities dont have that luxury. What about people that do mega miles? Long commutes, sales people etc? At the moment a model 3 is the one of the few EVs that can fufill the range requiremnt of my daily commute, they aint cheap though!

Batteries tech will improve, but its incremental and I dont belive there will be an enormous increase in capacity within the next decade. Unless a serious investment is made in infrastructure this plan is wishful thinking.
    E92 Interlagos Blue M3 - Current
    F10 Sophisto Grey 530d M-Sport - Sold
    F21 M135i Estoril Blue - Sold
    E92 Sapphire Black 335d M-Sport
    - Sold
    E36 328i SE Low Miler - Sold
    E46 Estoril Blue M3 - Sold
    E46 Titan Silver 330ci Clubsport - Sold
    E36 Cosmos Black 318is - Dead

BMWHaus Guru
    The other obvious lack of joined up thinking.....they state that 30-45% of cars will be electric but in the same breath they say “don’t worry, we will ensure that all new builds will have at least 10% of spaces fitted with electric charging points......massive doh!

BMWHaus Guru
    The minister should be sacked and put away as far as possible from decision making process for being this dumb. Scary to think these are the people who are in charge of legislations.
    Don't be naive - minister knows full well that this is unfeasible, but has to have some proposal to keep the green agenda and the Eurocrats off his/her (delete as appropriate as ministers come & go) back....

Remember, no matter what way you look at it, Capitalism & Environmentalism can't exist side-by-side....
    Current Daily: 2008 Lexus GS300 Sport F/L
    Current: E39 525i M Sport (Titan Silver)
    Previous: E34 520i SE (Orient Blue)