Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
All going to plan I'll be staring a €2350 road tax bill in the face in the new year, I hope it doesn't go up any more, it's already obscene, but who knows. It's gotta be the CO2 diesels that they're targeting, that's where they'll make their money, so hopefully the big petrols hang on for a while.

Funny you should talk about NOx output, some of the more interesting cars are falling under the radar, most of boosted petrols are putting out less than 15 mg/km, so N54, N55, B58, we may see some interesting cars returning to the shore.
Given that the number of nice petrol engined cars post 2008 are fairly few it inevitably, eventually, pushes someone like me towards nice diesel cars from 2008 to onwards. Without having looked at a huge number of examples yet, it looks like most EU4 and possibly many EU5 diesels will be priced beyond viability either through VRT supplements or, in due course, road-tax penalties. I'm thinking about changing the daily (aren't I always!), and tbh I'm finding it hard to follow a path towards the sort of car I'd prefer and feeling that I ought to just play it safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Curran View Post
But will they go after the cars already on a given tax system; i.e: CC based / CO2 based?? Or just target the 2020 registrations onwards.

The NOX addition on top of VRT will certainly hit the import of some cars extremely hard, but there will likely be a small window of opportunity to save on limited cars say between 2014/5/6 onwards, which will grow as the years go on when say a 2019/20 model will drop to the values that would open to a wider audience in 2023/24

If I checked up right, the likes of an 2014 M135i would be an additional 300 on top of current VRT rates from Jan 1st, given its 60g/km NOX rate...that's not going to put anyone off.
The key to making any progress towards emissions goals mean that they have to force "old" (post 2008) up to and including EU5 off the road ahead of "schedule". We know that this doesn't stand up to scrutiny in fact but its a populist message that through repetition will be an easy sell to those who are too busy to think for themselves. I think they'll do it by adding NOX as an additional, penal, factor to the pot of things that determine road-tax. We've always proven very sensitive to road tax as a tool for determining habits and choices.