Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gear box rebuild advice

bmw sell them

BMWHaus Contributor
    Not sure if it’s any good to you but I have the old one that packed up in mine in the shed if you want to send it away for a rebuild.

I kept it in the event the box would go in mine again but I only got 10 months from a second hand one so will be going for a manual now.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey Bear View Post
    Not sure if it’s any good to you but I have the old one that packed up in mine in the shed if you want to send it away for a rebuild.

I kept it in the event the box would go in mine again but I only got 10 months from a second hand one so will be going for a manual now.
    Jesus are they made of biscuits or what...? I suppose they lasted well over a decade anyway...

Sorry to read this Philip, it’s a shame, the rest of the car looks great. Was there any warning signs or anything?

BMWHaus Contributor

Cheers man but think I am gonna just bite the bullet for a rebuild as use it for daily

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36 View Post
    Jesus are they made of biscuits or what...? I suppose they lasted well over a decade anyway...

Sorry to read this Philip, it’s a shame, the rest of the car looks great. Was there any warning signs or anything?
    Nothing at all! Changing gears no problem with no judders or any tell tale signs of gearbox trouble. Previous owner had changed oil and filter in Jan but taking that with a pinch of salt as no paperwork for it.

I have drove it for 8k and no issues. Waiting to get it on tow truck to mechanic and check gearbox oil filter and see if any metal in the bottom.

It's like the pressure is lost in the box after it is running for few minutes. I suspect oil level is low but no leaks under the car. I checked diagnostics and ran solenoid tests which all came back fine.

BMWHaus Guru
    so will be going for a manual now.
    Are you looking for a manual box ? Know where there is one (a 530D M Sport) - still in car so can be driven if needed.

The whole car can be picked up cheaply - bought to use parts (wing, front bumper & 1 headlight) for another damaged one.
    Current Daily: 2008 Lexus GS300 Sport F/L
    Current: E39 525i M Sport (Titan Silver)
    Previous: E34 520i SE (Orient Blue)

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Big H View Post
    Are you looking for a manual box ? Know where there is one (a 530D M Sport) - still in car so can be driven if needed.

The whole car can be picked up cheaply - bought to use parts (wing, front bumper & 1 headlight) for another damaged one.
    How hard is it to do a manual conversion?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip M5 View Post
    How hard is it to do a manual conversion?
    Not cheap if being farmed out I'd imagine - pedals, clocks, clutch (new one of course), master/slave cylinder etc.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip M5 View Post
    Cheers man but think I am gonna just bite the bullet for a rebuild as use it for daily

Not sure if you got my offer, if you want to take it, send the box away for rebuild and then your car won’t stripped at the mechanics etc for a couple of weeks. You can use it as the “core” to send off.

Manual conversion shouldn’t be too laborious.

Big H can you Pm me details? Was going to go for 6 speed from a newer car but I’ll need all the other small bits anyway.

Yeah they’re weak enough Peter, they are more or less on their torque limit with standard power. Big issue in Land Rover L322’s and X5’s also. They all share the same GM box.

BMWHaus Guru
    Big H can you Pm me details?
    PM just sent