Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M4 Buying ....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

M4 Buying ....

Hi Guys , I've been around the forums for years (depending on what I'm driving) and have been lurking here for a while although was on the older site from the beginning .I am in the process of sourcing an M4 from across the water. I'm looking for an understated colour either grey or black so none available here . I've been offered a mineral grey car with lots of extras including HUD and heated steering wheel. However, it's got a sunroof. While I'd like the sunroof it means no carbon fiber. I'm thinking ahead to resale time and am wondering that because the CF roof is such a feature of these cars that it would be less desirable . On a darker colour CF is probably not noticable . So sunroof or hold out for CF ? .....

BMWHaus Guru
    Hold out, it’s just plain wrong having a sunroof
    In a car that can have a CF roof. You’ll get one in the UK eventually. I had to wait 8 weeks for the right spec/mileage/colour to pop up in the UK.

BMWHaus Guru
    Agree with Mark, I love sunroofs but I wouldn’t have it on a car that can have a carbon roof from the factory.

BMWHaus Guru
    You can’t see a CF roof from the drivers seat but you can see the sky with a SR......
    Current: BMW 530e M-Sport - '17, BMW 630i Sport auto - '07, BMW 325i Coupe - '93, BMW Z4 2.5si Auto - '07, '90 BMW 316i Lux.

Previous: BMW 328i Coupe - '96, BMW 530i SE auto - '07, BMW 530i Sport auto - '02, BMW 318i SE Touring - '07, BMW 330Ci Sport - '04, BMW 520d SE - '11, BMW 523i SE - '00, BMW 328i SE Touring - '00, BMW 523i SE - '97, BMW 323i SE - '98, 330Ci - '00, 325i Coupe - '93, 318Ci - '01, 316iSE - '98, 325iSE 2dr - '91, 320i Conv - '91, 325i Coupe - '92, 320i 2dr - '91.

BMWHaus Guru
    Personally, I wouldn't want one without a sunroof and the c/f roof doesn't do much for me. It'll always find a buyer if the spec is decent and its priced right.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quite partial to a sunroof myself, it's one of the first things I look for, would always prefer to have one than not.

Sent from my TRT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Racing is Life anything that happens before or after is just waiting~ Steve McQueen

BMWHaus Guru
    Always like a sunroof too if possible. I think it just suits the Irish weather - never warm enough to have the air-con on the whole time and never cold enough to have the windows up and the heat on the whole time either.

It's ideal for muggy drizzle....
    Current Daily: 2008 Lexus GS300 Sport F/L
    Current: E39 525i M Sport (Titan Silver)
    Previous: E34 520i SE (Orient Blue)

BMWHaus Contributor
    Dont really like sunroof on performance cars, lot of extra weight and takes away rigidity. But then again are you really gonna be looking at CF roof that much...

I'm thinking now that the sunroof will benefit me more from the driving point of view. As said above I won't see the CF roof from the drivers seat but being able to open the roof will also add to the sound effects. I'm not going to be trying to shave tenths of a second off lap times so won't notice any performance difference . I'll update when I have any news...

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedmur View Post
    I'm thinking now that the sunroof will benefit me more from the driving point of view. As said above I won't see the CF roof from the drivers seat but being able to open the roof will also add to the sound effects. I'm not going to be trying to shave tenths of a second off lap times so won't notice any performance difference . I'll update when I have any news...
    Sounds like you want the sunroof, and that's the important thing. How long will you hang on to the car? the resale value impact will obviously be lessened ae car gets older. One other thing to consider is if the people that like the sunroof are actually likely to be the buyer of your car come resale time. one thing to note, a carbon roof might actually be something an M car buyer is looking for that someone not in the market for an ///M car, however if the person was looking at non-M then they would possibly chase a car with a sunroof.