Thread: New wheels or refurbish?

New wheels or refurbish?

I have a set of staggered fitment 230 19" alloys that are in need of a refurbishment, checking the service history 3 of the 4 were replaced by previous owner due to cracks, these 3 are scuffed along the lip, its the original 13 year old wheel that is badly scuffed and also has corrosion now from the scuffs and also in the center lug holes.

Looking at the options i have:

Refurbish wheels back to original colour - approx 400 euro
    Replace with OEM replica style wheels - CSL reps, M3, M4 style 600-700 + new tyres maybe needed depending on fitment
    Replace with aftermarket style lighter 18" wheels - BBS CHR or similar - 1000+ and new tyres

I like the style of the factory wheels, i wouldn't mind switching down to 18's to gain a bit more sidewall for comfort but i dont think it would suit the car style wise. My sensible self says just get them refurbished and spend the money save on an LSD

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan335 View Post
    My sensible self says just get them refurbished and spend the money save on an LSD
    Listen to your sensible self. If you're sure there's no cracks then a refurb (and then the LSD !) is the way to go definately. They're a lovely simple & timeless design in my view. Best bang for your buck allround.....

Replicas will bend/crack too easily (there are some exceptions of course) and will more than likley be heavier, so I'd avoid.

New lightweight wheels would be great but big money for a really good set (18" would be a little underwhelming) in those arches BTW
    Current Daily: 2008 Lexus GS300 Sport F/L
    Current: E39 525i M Sport (Titan Silver)
    Previous: E34 520i SE (Orient Blue)

BMWHaus Guru

Question

Style 230s are the best wheels for a 335i, and they really do need an LSD
    so I think you know what to do

I went a size up (255/35) on the rears when the time came to replace them and they were a bit more cushiony. You can give that a go even with part worns to see if you’d be happy before committing with a refurb. (Fronts would be 225/40)

Avoid reps, they look the same but they don’t have anywhere near the quality of oem wheels. They’ll crack, buckle and be a lot heavier, and a part of you will feel dirty for having reps on such a nice car

PS Quaife LSDs are excellent, they’re so much more sophisticated than a clutch type LSD and you never need to service them. They also have a lifetime guarantee. Some details here of when mine was fitted, followed by a review if you’re interested. http://www.bmwhaus.ie/vbulletin/show...E92-335i/page8

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36 View Post
    Style 230s are the best wheels for a 335i, and they really do need an LSD
    so I think you know what to do

I went a size up (255/35) on the rears when the time came to replace them and they were a bit more cushiony. You can give that a go even with part worns to see if you’d be happy before committing with a refurb. (Fronts would be 225/40)

Avoid reps, they look the same but they don’t have anywhere near the quality of oem wheels. They’ll crack, buckle and be a lot heavier, and a part of you will feel dirty for having reps on such a nice car

PS Quaife LSDs are excellent, they’re so much more sophisticated than a clutch type LSD and you never need to service them. They also have a lifetime guarantee. Some details here of when mine was fitted, followed by a review if you’re interested. http://www.bmwhaus.ie/vbulletin/show...E92-335i/page8
    I actually already went to a 255/35 on the rear with the Michelin PS4S. The fronts i think are more an issue and they are the standard 225/35 which look a bit skimpy on the front. I think ill just get them refurbished, its usually the first thing i do when i change cars as it really freshens up the exterior, but with this car the preventative maintenance and power upgrades got in there first

I did order a set of ST XTA coilovers(Made by KW) least week but they are made to order ad a 6-8 week backlog. so i cancelled the order. I was just about to pull the trigger on a set of Meister R coilovers but last night i found myself researching LSD's! so trying to decide which to do next coilovers or LSD! I'll have a look at your thread now for inspiration. Can you remember how many hours labour does it take to install?

BMWHaus Guru
    I actually already went to a 255/35 on the rear with the Michelin PS4S. The fronts i think are more an issue and they are the standard 225/35 which look a bit skimpy on the front. I think ill just get them refurbished, its usually the first thing i do when i change cars as it really freshens up the exterior, but with this car the preventative maintenance and power upgrades got in there first

I did order a set of ST XTA coilovers(Made by KW) least week but they are made to order ad a 6-8 week backlog. so i cancelled the order. I was just about to pull the trigger on a set of Meister R coilovers but last night i found myself researching LSD's! so trying to decide which to do next coilovers or LSD! I'll have a look at your thread now for inspiration. Can you remember how many hours labour does it take to install?
    I'd vote for coilovers/suspension refresh over LSD (or at least in that order ), when I had the 335d I went with FSDs and an eibach kit which I found to be a decent enough set up for the money.
    E92 Interlagos Blue M3 - Current
    F10 Sophisto Grey 530d M-Sport - Sold
    F21 M135i Estoril Blue - Sold
    E92 Sapphire Black 335d M-Sport
    - Sold
    E36 328i SE Low Miler - Sold
    E46 Estoril Blue M3 - Sold
    E46 Titan Silver 330ci Clubsport - Sold
    E36 Cosmos Black 318is - Dead

BMWHaus Guru

Can’t remember to be honest, Valdas from Motor Confidence fitted it. Top job! There are specific instructions for fitting and you’ll need some special tool(s) I remember Valdas had to get one specifically for the job. Would be worth giving him a shout if you’re looking for someone to fit it.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Lsd first.....fook the wheels

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk