Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I expecting too much from ceramic coat

BMWHaus Contributor
    Yeah it wasn't spirit who did it

Rang the guy and he told me if anyone as much as runs their finger on it while theres dust on it it will mark

Total waste of money as far as I can see - either that or I got swindled Haha

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    I had a coating about 12 months ago and it's still 100% car was corrected before hand. Cost a grand and the car has been clean and swirl free since, and I am not that careful with the washing.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    All me beemers are gone.....for now.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Think I just went to the wrong place so - if anyone wants more info on my experience at said unnamed detailer feel free to PM Haha

Last edited by Dillon; 24-06-19 at 08:34.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I have emailed gtechniq to get their take on what their coating should do - hate feeling ripped off couldn't help myself Haha

I'll let you all know how it goes

BMWHaus Contributor
    In galway was it? Sound like they didnt correct it properly, the photos mean nothing, you can correct a car simply by altering the angle of the photo slightly. They might have used a filler to fill up the scratches and coated over that. They will of course blame you washing technique so not much comeback, but a shame really. Instagram and FB might be the best way to flex your consumer muscles.
    All me beemers are gone.....for now.

Administrator
    Cant speak for gtechniq coatings as I never used them, but any I have applied would have offered more resistance to swirling than the actual clear coat....that doesn't mean scratch proof and I feel that some manufacturers and approved applicators sometimes hype up the ability of coatings. I personally always stressed that they are definitely not a fool proof protection system, and in doing so probably talked myself out of quite a bit of work...would rather that than a mislead customer. It's not just that aspect that I made them aware of, but things like their glassy appearance, the need for a few new bottles of products that replace some of their current arsenal, not to wax ot seal over it as most car lovers enjoy a few hours on occasion and are tempted to attempt boost shine but this negates the coating.

Certainly dust rubbed on the car will affect most coatings. What Wash Mitt and Drying Towel are you using? Doubt you have the process wrong.

I can tell the company from the pictures, and would be pretty confident that there were no shortcuts taken in terms of prep, polishing, application, etc. Definitely strange that a coating durable for 5 year (or is it more??) would mark so noticeable so soon. Be interested to hear what gtechniq will say.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Thanks Curran appreciate your input on this with the wealth of knowledge you have, that's why I haven't named any names as I just don't have enough knowledge to be sure something wrong has been done and might just be expecting too much of the coating.

I'm using a gtechniq Mitt and towel bought the full gtechniq kit after I got the coating done, it's the crystal serum ultra so 9 years is the warranty apparently.

Thanks again appreciate the input

BMWHaus Contributor
    Had to post in here again cause this thing really is useless - Winter time now and the car is caked in dirt after a day every time I clean it, doesn’t appear to be hydrophobic whatsoever.

Really unhappy with this, complete waste of close to 1500 quid

BMWHaus Guru
    Sorry to hear that Dillon, really disappointing. Definitely not ceramic’s fault, I think it’s the place where you got it done. I couldn’t rate the ceramic coating that was on the Z4 highly enough. The car looked stunning no matter what. Super hydrophobic and insanely glossy.

Any chance of going back to the place? Not necessarily for a refund but.... for something... anything... 1500 is a lot spend and not have a result.

That's just how it is in winter. Road traffic film will stick to any car no matter what you use to protect it. Ceramic coatings only offer long term durability over cheaper synthetic waxes.

If you went and applied a fairly good easy to use wax like AG UHD today and then went for a drive it would end up the same way , covered in muck.

The ceramic coating will be there for a longer time, withstand harsher conditions and allot more car washes, it needs to be properly clean to show it's water repellency. It's not magic.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk