Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Am I expecting too much from ceramic coat

BMWHaus Contributor
    Ive had mine done since the summer. I think I’ve only used a mitt to wash it maybe 4 times. I’ve started using a ph neutral traffic film remover. I top it up after nearly every wash with auto finesse aqua coat. Maybe try something similar to top it up? I bought the gtechniq top up but haven’t used it yet so I can’t tell if that’s much better, it definitely takes a couple of days for the dirt to stick to mine and I find it’s not as prone to having dirt stick to it as before the ceramic. I’ve noticed my fathers car that was done by a dealer less that a fortnight ago is already deteriorating so there is obviously different levels of deterioration for different coatings.

If I was you I’d get a second opinion by someone and after that make a decision whether you’ve got what you paid for or not.

Administrator
    Did you contact gtechniq when you had concerns over the scratching? PM me the gist of what they said?

A ceramic coating should at worst be offering you some resistance to swirling and hydrophobic properties that should definitely be noticeable even over a waxed car. I'm not saying a ceramic coated car cant become caked, of course it can, but if a car becomes caked in 20 miles of your regular drive I would expect it to be noticeable cleaner for say 50 miles. A car with regular wax or sealant will give some very noticeable results over a short period, but a ceramic should be offering it over the lifetime. Some factors can affect this though. Applying the wrong products over the coating, thus clogging the nano links and nullifying its ability to be hydrophobic; but that is relatively easy to restore and doesnt affect its durability or ability to resist swirls. It's a 9 year coating so I wouldnt expect to see any noticeable drop off in performance for at least 3 years and should still be performing well for another 3 years.

So, in short the coating doesnt seem to be offering you anything. It's a warranty covered application so I would certainly raise the issue...definitely if it's not offering hydrophobic properties. It's worth noting that an effort should be made to ensure the coating is cleansed properly and assessed then, before outright saying it's doing nothing. It would be worth contacting the approved installer and I would expect that it would be their suggestion to do the same. I would want to ensure that in that process that there isnt something quick and easy to apply, a quick detailer type product that will give the appearance of restoration and thereby kicking the can down the road in effect.

I can advise further if you PM me gtechniq's response.

I Got a Cayenne done in August 2018 with the full Gtechniq package (think it cost 1,800 - I didn't have to pay as a builder sprayed concrete on the car)
    I have to say I am still very happy with it, swirling is minimal and when clean the shine is unreal - It still does get dirty especially in this weather but washing it properly means it stays cleaner longer. The exo has faded so will probably do that myself next summer but the underlying coating seems to be doing what it says it should.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Bit of a thread revival here, sorry Curran I never seen your message above as haven’t been active would have pm’d thanks for the offer

I emailed gtechniq but didn’t get a response; also rang the applicator and was pretty much told where to go so just chalked this whole thing down to a live and learn.

On that note, I am trading the 4 in against a carbon black 530e; and am considering going down this rabbit hole again cause I didn’t learn really 🙄😂

Anyone got a recommendation for a detailer / ceramic coating installer?

BMWHaus Contributor
    If you are near Dublin I am currently getting mine done from a guy who has done the owner of reflect autocares jeep and a few guys on here also. He charges 40 quid to wash and decontaminate the car and only then can give you a price on polishing it and coating it as every car is different. Can send his number if you like

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    That would be great thanks - And even better I can wait and see how you get on first 😜

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by schoonerm3 View Post
    Brian at spirit detailing did mine last week.

Im very very happy.

He uses a Japanese made ceramic
    I got my 430d Snapper Rocks Blue done with Brian in Spirit just before the lock down.

I’m also very happy with the job and my all the dealings...

As Schooner said, he uses a Japanese coating.
    The work before the ceramic coating is the key...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current: F36, , 986 Boxster, E93 M3 Cab
    Gone: E36 M3 Cab, 635csi, e36 320 cab, e46 coupe, f10 tractor