Thread: BMW ADS Interface cable for E36

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Site Sponsor

BMW ADS Interface cable for E36

I'm having an issue with the convertible top on my E36 and have realised that I need to access the CVM module to read the codes to see what is going on with it.
    I've tested all the micro switches and the motors and everything is checking out. The S1 & S2 micro switches on the top motor are calibrated and within spec so at this stage I need to get the "real story" from the CVM module.
    I have a computer with a serial port and INPA installed that I've used with a USB cable in the past on a number of BMW's. My issue is that the E36 needs the older ADS interface to access some modules and the CVM is one of them.
    Unfortunately I don't have one of these and the closest one seems to be in the States.

I was wondering if anyone had an old one lying around?
    They seem to be scarce nowadays.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have an eobd connector to old 20 pin round connector cable if that's what your after? Tried to stick a picture up but the forum is having none of it.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    I don’t think so. The ADS cable has a chipset built into it. Not sure what type you have. An image would be good. Does it have a serial connection on one end and 20 pin on the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've a usb to eobd connector that I use for INPA. But for older cars this cable then plugs in to the eobd end of the main cable and allows connection to the old 20pin round plug.
    Last edited by xworks; 02-07-19 at 21:33.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by xworks View Post
    I've a usb to eobd connector that I use for INPA. But for older cars this cable then plugs in to the eobd end of the main cable and allows connection to the old 20pin round plug.
    Shoot me a WhatsApp on 087 956 9874 and I'll send you a pic.
    Thanks,

That’s the same cable I have.
    I’m looking for the older serial cable with the chipset built in with a 9 pin serial connector on the end. It has to be this type to interface via ADS.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ecooney View Post
    I'm having an issue with the convertible top on my E36 and have realised that I need to access the CVM module to read the codes to see what is going on with it.
    I've tested all the micro switches and the motors and everything is checking out. The S1 & S2 micro switches on the top motor are calibrated and within spec so at this stage I need to get the "real story" from the CVM module.
    I have a computer with a serial port and INPA installed that I've used with a USB cable in the past on a number of BMW's. My issue is that the E36 needs the older ADS interface to access some modules and the CVM is one of them.
    Unfortunately I don't have one of these and the closest one seems to be in the States.

I was wondering if anyone had an old one lying around?
    They seem to be scarce nowadays.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have one but I don't want to sell it, I am potentially in Dublin next Tuesday evening if that helps? I have a laptop dedicated to that interface.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
    I have one but I don't want to sell it, I am potentially in Dublin next Tuesday evening if that helps? I have a laptop dedicated to that interface.
    Thanks, believe it or not only in the last 30 mins I finally figured out what was wrong.

There was a pinched wire in the roof that ended up getting fully severed.
    I’ve just soldered it up and I’m back in action.

I’m going to buy a cable from the US now anyway to have for future unexpected issues.

Thanks for the offer though.

I have one of these and can highly recommend :
    https://openlabs.co/OSHW/Tiny-ADS-Interface

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
    I have one of these and can highly recommend :
    https://openlabs.co/OSHW/Tiny-ADS-Interface
    That’s the one I was going for alright.