Thread: E92 M3 / Rod Bearings

BMWHaus Guru

E92 M3 / Rod Bearings

So the general consensus is that this is a must-do on an S65 or else... “engine failure”. Is it really as black and white as that?

Who does this job in Dublin and what’s a realistic estimate? Anybody on here get it done?

Is anything else “a given” that it will need to be done apart from throttle actuators?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36 View Post
    So the general consensus is that this is a must-do on an S65 or else... “engine failure”. Is it really as black and white as that?

Who does this job in Dublin and what’s a realistic estimate? Anybody on here get it done?

Is anything else “a given” that it will need to be done apart from throttle actuators?
    ABS units seem to be a service item too.

Check the cost of things like water pumps etc. On the e46 they’re a multiple of the cost for non M cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36 View Post

Had my rod bearings done last year and budget approx €2k

The actuators only need doing if they fail but there is a Company in UK who will recondition and warranty if you get completed in advance approx €400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the rod bearings issue is really exaggerated. I ran one for 8 years so spent alot of time researching issues etc and appears to be more of an issue in the US but still not something that really happens as often as is made out. Knew a BMW service manager who said he had 30 on the books at one time or another and hadn't seen it happen on any.

That being said a well minded car with full history is a must, it appears that it is caused by ragging the engine from cold so hard to tell but oil analysis does throw up if there is wear.

Apart from that the actuators went on mine and that's it, I put about 80k miles on it in that time. What an engine.

BMWHaus Guru
    All ///M engines are race derived so rod bearings are a maintenance item eventually.

If you plan on keeping car and running it hard then it would be wise to plan in the cost.

However if its a low mileage, well maintained car that you plan using for normal day to day running then i wouldnt worry.

BMWHaus Guru
    For reference, i changed the rod bearings on my e36 m3 but my plan is to eventually do track days etc.

When they were removed they had no wear at 70k miles and 15years old

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    where is few E92 M3 with replaced engines , even one or 2 on DD ,one was done in main dealer for sure ,maybe in NI , but still it was done .I know few other ones with engine failures, one in Dublin 2-3 years ago ,low mileage one . others outside the country as people contacted me searching for them .
    Lot guys ,from this our forum ,knows hackengineering in UK , follow them and U will see the amount and condition of these bearings and most of them with low mileages .I mentioned them ,because they really have done huge amount of them .some of these cars with super low mileages , I just did one E46 M3, with very low mileage , bearings was in very bad condition ,owner couldn't believe it,but only until he saw him self . its completely wrong thinking that low mileage car ,which is used for short journeys- distances ,work home 10-15 minutes drive ,or mostly as weekend car ,will last longer as daily car with hour or so drive every day .... yes ,most components are mileage related ,but .... engine is build to work in its full working temperatures ,and most of these M3 run 10W60 oil , race car , with oil which suits its needs .... so once its in its temperatures ,it can do any hard work ,fast street ,track use ,it has no harm or don't do any damage ... the damage is - short distances ,low engine temperatures ,rich on fuel ,oil is in low temperatures and don't give protection to these components .I have sold good few engines from e46 M3 , and lot guys who rang looking for them ,had very late 04-06 cars with low mileages and with gone engines .most I had , weals early cars with 100k and on mileages I think one was over 160k mls and with very minimal subframe cracks as was used for long distances .u might not believe what I say ,but reality says different ...
    Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdelisbmw View Post
    where is few E92 M3 with replaced engines , even one or 2 on DD ,one was done in main dealer for sure ,maybe in NI , but still it was done .I know few other ones with engine failures, one in Dublin 2-3 years ago ,low mileage one . others outside the country as people contacted me searching for them .
    Lot guys ,from this our forum ,knows hackengineering in UK , follow them and U will see the amount and condition of these bearings and most of them with low mileages .I mentioned them ,because they really have done huge amount of them .some of these cars with super low mileages , I just did one E46 M3, with very low mileage , bearings was in very bad condition ,owner couldn't believe it,but only until he saw him self . its completely wrong thinking that low mileage car ,which is used for short journeys- distances ,work home 10-15 minutes drive ,or mostly as weekend car ,will last longer as daily car with hour or so drive every day .... yes ,most components are mileage related ,but .... engine is build to work in its full working temperatures ,and most of these M3 run 10W60 oil , race car , with oil which suits its needs .... so once its in its temperatures ,it can do any hard work ,fast street ,track use ,it has no harm or don't do any damage ... the damage is - short distances ,low engine temperatures ,rich on fuel ,oil is in low temperatures and don't give protection to these components .I have sold good few engines from e46 M3 , and lot guys who rang looking for them ,had very late 04-06 cars with low mileages and with gone engines .most I had , weals early cars with 100k and on mileages I think one was over 160k mls and with very minimal subframe cracks as was used for long distances .u might not believe what I say ,but reality says different ...
    So Valdelis, are you putting rod bearings on the E92 M3 more in the "must have" category, than "nice to have" ?
    And that is irrespective of mileage recorded...
    Current: F36, , 986 Boxster, E93 M3 Cab
    Gone: E36 M3 Cab, 635csi, e36 320 cab, e46 coupe, f10 tractor

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmolloy01 View Post
    So Valdelis, are you putting rod bearings on the E92 M3 more in the "must have" category, than "nice to have" ?
    And that is irrespective of mileage recorded...
    yes , irrespective of mileage recorded and its more as lottery . but maybe more - nice to have ,for a piece of mind ...

about most early M - S engines in general ,not only E92 M3 as these not so many around ,)
    Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12