Thread: Android auto.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Android auto.

Am I right in thinking Android auto does not work in BMW . I cant get the voice on google maps to work on the phone or through the radio when connected. I thought Android Auto would solve my problem but obviously not . Anyone got a solution ?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedmur View Post
    Am I right in thinking Android auto does not work in BMW . I cant get the voice on google maps to work on the phone or through the radio when connected. I thought Android Auto would solve my problem but obviously not . Anyone got a solution ?
    You mean working on the BMW screen or?

Sadly BMW seems still very Apple centric. With BMW Connecteddrive you can send a location from Google Maps to the cars SatNav that's about it. Else phone holder and audio via the sound system appears to be it unless I am unaware of something.

BMWHaus Guru
    Weirdly BMW have signed up with Apple for the Carplay side oof thins but not Android Auto. However the NFC "Digital Key" system for the car only works with Andriod!

https://www.nfcworld.com/2018/12/20/...8-series-cars/

Matt Watson is always banging on about it.

BMWHaus Guru
    Is there not screen mirroring for android phones? It’s on the X5 but we’re Apple fanboys.

They don't make it easy . All I wanted was to play the maps voice over bluetooth over phonecall and radio . What happens at the moment is the maps voice doesnt work either on the phone or through the car when connected. I end up having to turn off bluetooth on the phone so I can hear the directions. Didn't try the screen mirroring but its the voice instructions is all I need.
    Last edited by Tedmur; 16-08-19 at 07:56.

BMWHaus Guru
    They don't make it easy . All I wanted was to play the maps voice over bluetooth over phonecall and radio . What happens at the moment is the maps voice doesnt work either on the phone or through the car when connected. I end up having to turn off bluetooth on the phone so I can hear the directions. Didn't try the screen mirroring but its the voice instructions is all I need.
    In Google Maps > Settings > Navigation Settings > Play Voice over Bluetooth

Does that sort it?

Play voice over bluetooth is switched on alright. Strange thing is I tried it in my wife's Audi and it doesnt work there either. Are you able to get it to work in your car ?

BMWHaus Guru
    Play voice over bluetooth is switched on alright. Strange thing is I tried it in my wife's Audi and it doesnt work there either. Are you able to get it to work in your car ?
    I had used it minimally in the past on the F10 as iirc the annoying thing with that setting was when not connected to Bluetooth there would be no sound so I had it turned back off and in the end just used phone audio when connected.

Getting it to work was a combination of phone & car Bluetooth settings ensuring relevant options were ticked for sharing phone, contacts, media, etc.

It would never come in via car unless the car was connected to phone and playing media from the phone at the same time. So if car radio was on for example this would not override that if Maps was running.

Hopefully you get what I am saying there...

So after some messing about I got it to work . Correct source of media needs to be selected . Doesn't work while car radio is playing so would have to be using internet radio from the phone. At least phone calls work while using google maps through the car. Thanks for the help.

BMWHaus Guru
    So after some messing about I got it to work . Correct source of media needs to be selected . Doesn't work while car radio is playing so would have to be using internet radio from the phone. At least phone calls work while using google maps through the car. Thanks for the help.
    Glad you got sorted