Thread: Any hd cctv experts here

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Any hd cctv experts here

Looking for some info on CCTV

Basically
    I need to know if you have a standard cctv that utilises cat 5 cable and video and power baluns on the camera and DVR end to connect everything

If you changed to 8 mp HD camera and nvr that uses rj45 ethernet plugs

Could you buy passive rj45 to bnc adapter instead of cutting the cat 5 cable either end and crimping a ethernet plug to plug into the nvr and the actual camera

Basically plug and play to upgrade the system

As opposed to cutting and crimping the cat 5 that already exists

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Claudio, in my experience the less loss the better. Transferring through different types of medium is not a good idea. You are best to crimp a new RJ45 connector on the end of the Cat5e cable in my opinion. Less mess and less points of possible failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eamon is right, using connectors can weaken the signal for the faster network speed on the System, is it a Cat 5 cable for sure or cat 5 E?? the difference is network speed capabilities, ideally the new systems work better on a cat 6 cable, to deal with the new 5G network speeds, Ive just installed a new Wireless system that works over WIFI, its pretty good with 4G wifi and 1080p HD cameras so no need for POE wiring, crystal clear pictures and video thru an App for my phone and also has a could storage subscription for continuous monitoring if required

BMWHaus Contributor
    Thanks
    What brand is it
    I'm using himvision 8mp camera with poe nvr
    Have to finish installation though
    So nedd to crimp the cat 5 cable and cut off the existing bnc plugs so can plug and play everything

I used a Jooan 2.0MP 4 camera system have you crimped the RJ45s before?? they can be Fiddely,

BMWHaus Contributor
    No haven't done it but have a mate who can who will do part for me as I seen its difficult

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by claude View Post
    No haven't done it but have a mate who can who will do part for me as I seen its difficult

I’m well used to them from my previous job but they can be difficult and fiddly.

I would suggest getting a bag of the “pass through” kind for anyone that is not experienced with crimping RJ45’s. They make the job a lot easier

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F292821096319

Just make sure you have a crimp tool that will work with this type of connector.

I can loan you a tester if you need it so you can check the cable end to end for any issues.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by ecooney View Post
    I’m well used to them from my previous job but they can be difficult and fiddly.

I would suggest getting a bag of the “pass through” kind for anyone that is not experienced with crimping RJ45’s. They make the job a lot easier

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F292821096319

Just make sure you have a crimp tool that will work with this type of connector.

I can loan you a tester if you need it so you can check the cable end to end for any issues.

thanks eamonn
    another problem is im not 100% sure if the cable thats currently in use is a cat 5 or 6 is been that long since it was done, could this be a problem when it come to buying the plugs etc. whats the best and easiest way to verify?

Quote Originally Posted by claude View Post
    thanks eamonn
    another problem is im not 100% sure if the cable thats currently in use is a cat 5 or 6 is been that long since it was done, could this be a problem when it come to buying the plugs etc. whats the best and easiest way to verify?
    If you can see enough of the cable it'll be written on it every metre or so.

BMWHaus Guru

Any hd cctv experts here

I assume you mean Hikvision.

Hikvision are absolutely excellent, they are the go-to camera for monitoring for RTE.

Main different between CAT 5 vs CAT 6 is bandwidth, CAT 6 will support a 10Gb NIC but almost nothing in the domestic market uses 10Gb NICs.. CAT 6 is quite a bit thicker and is better shielded but the marked difference is CAT6 has a plastic centre spine in the cable and is a complete bastard to terminate.

But I very much doubt you're gonna be pushing anywhere near 1Gb anyway, nor would I think that the NVR or cameras have anything more than a 1Gb port, that's assuming they're even operating over UDP, a lot of manufacturers would simply terminate their connection using RJ45 for ease of manufacture, without actually
    Implementing a network protocol and simply pinning RGB through a CAT 5 cable, same way HDMI can be run over Ethernet, 8Mp is likely to be south of 100Mbps, so I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not it's CAT 5 or CAT 6.

I'd also be very slow to recommend rewiring with CAT 6, it's very expensive and to really be in any hope of utilising the bandwidth you need 10Gb NICs on your machines, the cards are usually north of a €100, then go price a 10Gb unmanaged switch. Anything outside of a commercial deployment doesn't make any sense.

Plug it in, test it and address problems if they exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Dave; 27-08-19 at 23:30.