Thread: Any hd cctv experts here

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Any hd cctv experts here

I assume you mean Hikvision.

Hikvision are absolutely excellent, they are the go-to camera for monitoring for RTE.

Main different between CAT 5 vs CAT 6 is bandwidth, CAT 6 will support a 10Gb NIC but almost nothing in the domestic market uses 10Gb NICs.. CAT 6 is quite a bit thicker and is better shielded but the marked difference is CAT6 has a plastic centre spine in the cable and is a complete bastard to terminate.

But I very much doubt you're gonna be pushing anywhere near 1Gb anyway, nor would I think that the NVR or cameras have anything more than a 1Gb port, that's assuming they're even operating over UDP, a lot of manufacturers would simply terminate their connection using RJ45 for ease of manufacture, without actually
    Implementing a network protocol and simply pinning RGB through a CAT 5 cable, same way HDMI can be run over Ethernet, 8Mp is likely to be south of 100Mbps, so I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not it's CAT 5 or CAT 6.

I'd also be very slow to recommend rewiring with CAT 6, it's very expensive and to really be in any hope of utilising the bandwidth you need 10Gb NICs on your machines, the cards are usually north of a €100, then go price a 10Gb unmanaged switch. Anything outside of a commercial deployment doesn't make any sense.

Plug it in, test it and address problems if they exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Dave; 27-08-19 at 23:30.