Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Alternator?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Bad Alternator?

Came out on Sunday and car wouldn't start. Turns out my battery went dead. I replaced the battery couple months ago for brand new one. Previous batter was old and went dead on me couple times. Was grand since then.
    I charged my battery then on Monday and went about looking for parasitic drain. Measured current drainage and it was flicking between 0.01 and 0.02 amps. Anything under 0.04amps should be normal I think.

Anyway car went dead overnight again. I took folding mirror circuit was at fault, took out the fuse and that stop the current flickering and now drainage stays at stable 0.01.

However I noticed the inconsistent reading when measuring voltage at the battery and front terminal to see if my alternator worked.

Sometimes I get
    Voltage battery 12.4, front terminal 13.8, Cluster 12.2
    or
    Voltage battery 13.8, front terminal 13.8 Cluster 13.2

I dont know how accurate front terminal but cluster and battery show that alternator is not working.
    Seems like either my alternator on the way out or power doesnt go all they way to battery the odd time ?

New alternator is over 300e. Is there crowd in Dublin that refurbishes them?

BMWHaus Guru

Bad Alternator?

What mileage is on it? 300 seems quite reasonable. If you think the bearings are ok, you could buy a new regulator for it and that should solve your charging issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    Would you consider refurbishing it? Even if you just changed the regulator and brushes it’s very cheap and relatively simple diy job.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I usually pay around a ton for a refurb. Then it’s just a case of remove and refit and the guy tests it to make sure it’s all good.

Blanch auto electric,018200840, they do a refurb,there is a place in walkinstown, does the same,

BMWHaus Contributor
    I fixed the alternator issue by cleaning front terminal connection and tightening the nut. I ordered the regulator for it since it seems like an easy diy.

I think the draining issue was due to folding mirror circuit. I am gonna leave the battery in the car tonight and see if it starts tomorrow. Then I just need to figure out whats the craic with folding mirrors.

I had a draining battery issue, changed battery, starting motor,ignition switch, it was the torch in glove box, ignition switches do strange things,

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokyMo View Post
    I fixed the alternator issue by cleaning front terminal connection and tightening the nut. I ordered the regulator for it since it seems like an easy diy.

I think the draining issue was due to folding mirror circuit. I am gonna leave the battery in the car tonight and see if it starts tomorrow. Then I just need to figure out whats the craic with folding mirrors.
    There’s no dildo jammed in them is there?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36 View Post

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36 View Post
    hahaha I wonder how many people are showing up to ya mans garage with dildos