Thread: 320d n47 waterpump diyable..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

320d n47 waterpump diyable..

The water pump has started making a load grinding noise. Took the aux belt off and spun it by hand and the bearings are toast. Car has 144k miles so not bad if it's the original pump. Just wondering if replacing the pump would be considered doable on a driveway? Not sure I want to risk driving it to a mechanic about 50km away.

If similar to the petrol engines it's very do-able, very straight forward. Done a few but not on a diesel.

Cheers for the reply Roberto. Did you have to drain all the coolant or just remove pump and let it drain down below pump? It looks pretty straightforward but i've been caught out with those seemingly easy jobs before..

The pump had failed when I was replacing so the water had already leaked out. Would save mess to drain coolant from bottom of radiator beforehand. Inexpensive to replace the coolant properly, especially ahead of winter.

Looks like intercooler, undertray and other stuff needs to be removed. Might be a little risky starting this on the driveway. Think I'll look for local mechanic or risk driving to Dublin...

Big thanks to motor confidence for fitting the new water pump. Usual quality service. Yeah I chickened out of doing it meself..