Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: where are all the older cars gone?

where are all the older cars gone?

Space is a big factor for me too, I have one garage and the space in front of it to park my daily. There isn’t a hope I’d park something on the street where I live so a third car is a definite no. Ideal situation for me would be If I found a rented garage unit shared with a few others to keep a car or two I’d be able to rotate what I keep in the my garage at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    A friend of mine built a shed that’s big enough to hold 8 or 9 cars and thought that would be big enough. He managed to fill it in less than 12 months. Storage is key for these older cars.
    The 74 2002 is in his shed for that reason. It was on my driveway for a few months while I was sorting out some issues with it. It was far from ideal. My M3 is in the garage and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Also have the R53 Mini Cooper S track car outside the house at the minute and the windows are all fogged up and it’s getting “green” around the edges. It needs to go into dry storage also otherwise it will just rot away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    My two are tucked away this year, haven't really been out. Between a baby in the house and buying a new house there's not really been time to pay them much attention this year.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I'd love to add one or two to the collection, but the cost of storage for a few cars is prohibitive

BMWHaus Guru
    I still have my e36 vert and going in to my 20th year of ownership this year. Storage is a big problem alright.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    e36 hiding in the corner .....
    Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

BMWHaus Contributor
    Car insurance killed it a few years ago...

Was dailying 1999 hondas and insurance became silly, moved further from work hence I bought a 535d insuring it for 400ish - 3 times less than the hondas

Still have them locked away but it’s easy to insure cars in your elder years when the car is newer

The planned replacement for the 535d is coming in les than 400€ to insure

Those old cars haven’t been forgotten just yet, 20yrs old now

BMWHaus Contributor
    The few e36s I had were covered 3rd part extension... still have the tax issue though

BMWHaus Contributor
    My E36 is in storage alongside quite a few others. I am living abroad at the moment so I have another forum member checking in on it for me which I am extremely grateful. Funnily enough where I am now, the amount of 90s BMW on the road is huge, it helps that a cold day is 25c and it rains less than 5 days a year. Weather in Ireland has an awful effect on cars condition.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Still have the E34 touring as a daily, insurance is cheap on it as a classic