Quote Originally Posted by BMW
I meant to post this a few weeks back but anyway, Anyway incase anyone has forgot or doesn't know it needs to be done THIS monday as in tomorrow!

You need an RF100 signed by a Guard and RF150 to declare for future use.

Easier to explain with an example, My E36 tax is out since 9/11. So I got RF100 signed and stamped by a Guard to state it wasn't used from 1/10/11 until 31/8/13, Then I filled in an RF150 and declared it won't be used from 1/9/13 until 31/8/14. Took both into the tax office and was issued a SORD receipt.

According to various sorces I'v red, Declarations need to be on their desk by closing time Monday, Anything received after will need 3 months tax to be paid before it can be SORD as the 3 month transition period ends 31st September.

In other words, Back tax will be owed from 1st October until you decide to tax it.
Only way out is to transfer the car into someone elses name, Tax will be only payable from the 1st of the month you become owner.

Sorry if it's hard to follow, I'm posting from my phone but any questioms just ask and I'll try answer.
Are you sure about this ?

taken from here : http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_tax_rates.html

Vehicle off the road
New procedures are being introduced for declaring a vehicle is temporarily off the road so that you do not have to pay motor tax for that period.

From 1 October 2013 you are required to declare in advance that your vehicle will be off the road and not in use for a period of between 3 and 12 months using Declaration of Non-Use of a Motor Vehicle Form RF150 (pdf), which you submit to your motor tax office. The declaration of non-use must be made in the same month that your current motor tax disc expires. If arrears in motor tax are due these must be paid in full and you must also pay a minimum of 3 months motor tax, before a declaration of non-use can be made.

That's one of my gripes with the new system .