Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: PLEASE READ: Off the road declaration/SORD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

PLEASE READ: Off the road declaration/SORD

The new system requires a vehicle owner to declare their vehicle off the road in advance by completing form RF150 Declaration of Non-Use of a Motor Vehicle.

Purchasing a car:
    So if you purchase a car, You have 10 days from purchase (Even if previous owner has declared it, It's cancelled when it's sold) to either tax it/declare it off the road with an RF150.

Tax is only payable from the 1st of the month in which your purchase it, You do not have to pay arrears if your only after purchasing it once you get it taxed/sorned within 10 days. (Previous owner is also not liable for arrears)

Re-Taxing during SORN period:
    You can cancel the declaration at any time by renewing your tax in your local motor tax office. The tax will commence from the first day of the month in which you tax the vehicle.

Before SORN expires:
    When your SORN is about to expire, You should get a renewal in which you can either re-tax the vehicle or declare it off the road for a further amount of time. Just call into/post the RF150 to your local tax office

Re: PLEASE READ: Off the road declaration/SORD

Stickied

RE: PLEASE READ: Off the road declaration/SORD

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Stickied
    Heard from a reliable source this evening the deadline on Monday may be extended (?) due to the rather large Q's trailing out the doors of the tax offices nationwide during the week submitting their forms and the inability of public servants to do their job under pressure. Lets wait and see what happens.

BMWHaus Guru

As long as you post it tomorrow then you're covered. Anything with a post mark dated on or before tomorrow will be treated as being received on time. I posted mine off about 4 weeks ago for the e36, I got a receipt by post a few days later.
    You should be able to do this online & also be able to renew online. Ridiculous carry on with the queues in the Motor Tax office!
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter
    As long as you post it tomorrow then you're covered. Anything with a post mark dated on or before tomorrow will be treated as being received on time. I posted mine off about 4 weeks ago for the e36, I got a receipt by post a few days later.
    You should be able to do this online & also be able to renew online. Ridiculous carry on with the queues in the Motor Tax office!
    I registered post mine 8 days ago

Do I get or need a receipt?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by E36Austin

Send them an email at the tax office you sent it into Austin. To be fair they're fairly decent in there and should let you know if it's been processed, and at least you'll have confirmation then. I've still not got a phyisical piece of paper from them though

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Leins
    Quote Originally Posted by E36Austin

Send them an email at the tax office you sent it into Austin. To be fair they're fairly decent in there and should let you know if it's been processed, and at least you'll have confirmation then. I've still not got a phyisical piece of paper from them though
    Decent lads to let me know I don't own the car:s
    Anyone else get one of these?
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by BMW
    I meant to post this a few weeks back but anyway, Anyway incase anyone has forgot or doesn't know it needs to be done THIS monday as in tomorrow!

You need an RF100 signed by a Guard and RF150 to declare for future use.

Easier to explain with an example, My E36 tax is out since 9/11. So I got RF100 signed and stamped by a Guard to state it wasn't used from 1/10/11 until 31/8/13, Then I filled in an RF150 and declared it won't be used from 1/9/13 until 31/8/14. Took both into the tax office and was issued a SORD receipt.

According to various sorces I'v red, Declarations need to be on their desk by closing time Monday, Anything received after will need 3 months tax to be paid before it can be SORD as the 3 month transition period ends 31st September.

In other words, Back tax will be owed from 1st October until you decide to tax it.
    Only way out is to transfer the car into someone elses name, Tax will be only payable from the 1st of the month you become owner.

Sorry if it's hard to follow, I'm posting from my phone but any questioms just ask and I'll try answer.
    Are you sure about this ?

taken from here : http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_tax_rates.html

Vehicle off the road
    New procedures are being introduced for declaring a vehicle is temporarily off the road so that you do not have to pay motor tax for that period.

From 1 October 2013 you are required to declare in advance that your vehicle will be off the road and not in use for a period of between 3 and 12 months using Declaration of Non-Use of a Motor Vehicle Form RF150 (pdf), which you submit to your motor tax office. The declaration of non-use must be made in the same month that your current motor tax disc expires. If arrears in motor tax are due these must be paid in full and you must also pay a minimum of 3 months motor tax, before a declaration of non-use can be made.

That's one of my gripes with the new system .

BMWHaus Guru

I have an e-mail from them telling me both the Alpina and the E46 are declared off the road now, but still haven't received the official notification back through the post

Sent the E34 one in a few weeks ago but again no notification back in post, so fired off another one on Friday to them just in case

Like RR above, I think it's an absolute disgrace that this "system" has been brought in without an on-line capability. We want to be taken seriously by the wider world, but stuff like this just makes us look a bit backwards

The implementation of this system is flawed, and yes, there should be an on-line method but the hysteria around deadlines, having the right forms, queues etc is getting on my wick!!
    I wouldn't be a champion of civil servants but those on the front line in the motor tax offices are not at fault here. From what I saw when I was in a few weeks ago, you would need the patience of Jobe being behind the counter!

The process for SORD was flagged months ago but in the typical Irish approach to bureaucracy, most people leave it until the last minute and then complain when they don't have the right forms signed or stamped or that queues are out the door.

Those complaining now are either the feckless who couldn't be a***d doing anything sooner, or the '3 on, 2 off' brigade who are making use of the current system until the last possible moment and are now at risk of being caught out. Either way, I don't have much sympathy.