Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE READ: Off the road declaration/SORD

BMWHaus Guru

PLEASE READ: Off the road declaration/SORD

Quote Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
    I collected the car this morning just had to go to the station and show my license and insurance/log book documents they gave me a release form for the impound yard,the recovery driver was actually in the cop station so he gave me a lift to his yard and i paid €125 release fee and i was on my way....no need to show tax for the car....the system in place is really flawed if you look at it this way my car tax for the year costs €1500 if i dont tax the car and it gets seized 4 times a year it will only cost €125 a time to get it back so €500 for a year..i will be taxing it this week anyway..but just for future reference if anyone else's car gets seized..
    But you still need to pay the back tax don't you?

RE: PLEASE READ: Off the road declaration/SORD

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    I collected the car this morning just had to go to the station and show my license and insurance/log book documents they gave me a release form for the impound yard,the recovery driver was actually in the cop station so he gave me a lift to his yard and i paid €125 release fee and i was on my way....no need to show tax for the car....the system in place is really flawed if you look at it this way my car tax for the year costs €1500 if i dont tax the car and it gets seized 4 times a year it will only cost €125 a time to get it back so €500 for a year..i will be taxing it this week anyway..but just for future reference if anyone else's car gets seized..
    I'm going to transfer the car into a family members name and then I'll tax it, it's not ideal but I'll avoid the 3 months arrears.

BMWHaus Guru

I'm going to transfer the car into a family members name and then I'll tax it, it's not ideal but I'll avoid the 3 months arrears.
    Don't think you will get away with that now that you got it taken off you?? Should they not see a tax disc before its released? Stupid system...

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispyfish
    Don't think you will get away with that now that you got it taken off you?? Should they not see a tax disc before its released? Stupid system...
    I'm not too sure I'll give it a go anyway see what happens, yeah I agree it is a stupid system but as long as you have insurance and nct all you have to pay is the €125 release fee and you get the car back, you don't have to show you've taxed it.

Tax it ASAP and you won't get caught for back tax as the system isn't that up to date. It happened to me and I just taxed it as soon as I had the car out.

How do you do that? The online system asks for arrears doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_D

When I got caught I went up the very next morning at 9am got my car out on a trailer got it outside the impound yard took it off the trailer drove it up to the tax office taxed it and there was no arrears. I figured in the timeframe that in which it was taken and I got it back that whatever system is used wasn't updated. The girl in the impound didn't even charge me any storage fee as I was there bang on 9am. I got charged the impound that was it.

Weird, I've a car that's one month out and the system knows I'm due arrears.

Quote Originally Posted by kendo
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_D

When I got caught I went up the very next morning at 9am got my car out on a trailer got it outside the impound yard took it off the trailer drove it up to the tax office taxed it and there was no arrears. I figured in the timeframe that in which it was taken and I got it back that whatever system is used wasn't updated. The girl in the impound didn't even charge me any storage fee as I was there bang on 9am. I got charged the impound that was it.
    I say you just got lucky or something,i was in the cop station at 9am to get the release form and i drove the car out of the impound yard around 10am,now i just checked online and i still owe the arrears.

And you only get charged the storage fee if its been there for over 24hrs.

Maybe I was lucky but it 100% did happen I most certainly wasn't complaining. It did do one thing tho and that was teaching to keep the car taxed at all times as it's just not worth the hassle.