Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE READ: Off the road declaration/SORD

RE: PLEASE READ: Off the road declaration/SORD

Quote Originally Posted by kendo
    Maybe I was lucky but it 100% did happen I most certainly wasn't complaining. It did do one thing tho and that was teaching to keep the car taxed at all times as it's just not worth the hassle.
    Yeah im the same i will be taxing it this week but to be honest it wasnt any hassle for me,i got stopped in a checkpoint at 8pm and the car was on the truck at around 8:30pm,then the guard even gave me a lift home by 9pm,i was in the cop station at 9am and the guard there gives me the release form and says to me "the recovery truck driver is outside collecting a car if you hold on he will give you a lift over to collect your car" ,so much for needing a trailer or tow ha ha

Got my SORD Renewal today, It's like a tax renewal form... Also has a pin to do it online. No charge.

BMWHaus Guru

If i sorn a car off the road for 12 months can I put it back on the road at the start of any of the months in that 12 months if that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    If i sorn a car off the road for 12 months can I put it back on the road at the start of any of the months in that 12 months if that makes sense?
    Simple answer, Yes.

BMWHaus Guru

If a car is declared off the road for the full year is it possible to say tax it from the start of this month?

BMWHaus Contributor

If a car is declared off the road for the full year is it possible to say tax it from the start of this month?
    Yep you can break the declaration at any time, and tax it from the 1st day of the month in which you broke it.

E.g. If you declared the car off the road in August for 12 months and decided today that you want to tax it again, you will have to tax the car from the 1st of December going forward for 3/6/12 months.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nige
    Yep you can break the declaration at any time, and tax it from the 1st day of the month in which you broke it.

E.g. If you declared the car off the road in August for 12 months and decided today that you want to tax it again, you will have to tax the car from the 1st of December going forward for 3/6/12 months.
    Thanks for the prompt answer

So I bought my car in November, but I won't be driving it until January earliest, possibly even February. I just realised after seeing this thread, that I'll owe 2-3 months road tax by then without ever driving it!!! Is there any way I can avoid this because there's no way I want to pay over €200 for absolutely nothing. Would have been grand in the old system, I just totally forgot about the new way of doing things.

Sell it to a family member and buy it back in january

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Sell it to a family member and buy it back in january
    Ah that's a good idea actually, cheers.