Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PLEASE READ: Off the road declaration/SORD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

RE: PLEASE READ: Off the road declaration/SORD

I agree it's not the fault of the "front-line", and the issue really lies in the whole idea of road tax (aka "motor tax"), but that's a separate discussion. However, the idea behind the public service is to serve the public, and this just isn't happening. If a restaurant or a book shop, as an example, decided to run the same opening hours as these motor tax offices, how long would they stay in business. It's not my problem that they can't cope with this new system, that should have been anticipated beforehand. If the government really wanted their "missing €80 million" from motor tax, they would have made it easier on everyone involved

The problem is that the government just wants everyone spending again, be it houses, new cars, whatever, as that's where they get their filthy lucre through VAT, VRT, stamp duty, etc. A few quid from car tax is feck all in comparison, so they're trying to force the hand of older car owners. Sure it's going on everywhere eg they've cut the interest rates on savings accounts again and raiding pensions, IMO to force people away from these sensible options into spending, in the blinkered view of getting the problems in this little country resolved short-term, and then hopefully the serious long-term issues will be some other group of politician's problem down the line

And breath...rant over...

A lot of different issues there Leins and I agree with you on most. Anyway back to a relaxing Sunday watching the MotoGP lads do battle!

BMWHaus Contributor

PLEASE READ: Off the road declaration/SORD

What happens is you buy a car after oct 1st and thats been sitting up for a long time but previous owner never declared it off the road?

Quote Originally Posted by ginoc
    What happens is you buy a car after oct 1st and thats been sitting up for a long time but previous owner never declared it off the road?
    Your only responsible from the 1st of the month you buy it, Same as it is currently.

What's going on there??

Re: PLEASE READ: Off the road declaration/SORD

Stick your reg in motortax.ie and see when the last change of ownership was

Did you sign and send off the log book yourself ?

Re: PLEASE READ: Off the road declaration/SORD

Saying it was transferred to someone only two weeks ago :huh:
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMWHaus Contributor

What that tell me then is,

I transfer ownership as i owed back tax. It give ten days for Non use immediately following purchase of a second hand vehicle.

If you only have 10 to fill the form in and it take 12 to process are you hit with 3 months tax?

One to watch out for. The Tax office processed my form on the 19 and the car was not registered on till the 30. I'm in the system so i should be fine.

Looks like Leins was right as well they might be charging next year to process the form

the plot thickens 530 was off the road since end of july as i had the 3 series tax and nct'd for her and i was using the bike or the jeep for work,so sent in the forms both to say it was off the road from july/aug and it would be off the road for the forseeable future,then as most of you know sold the three and went to tax the 5 but was told there was a back log of forms and until i get the reciept from the tax office i cant tax it unless i pay all back taxi thought id be clever antisapating this so i photocopied all paper work before sending it off and even on producing this i was poliety told to fuck off until i get the reciept,so after a heated descussion with the tax office sup i got a stamped form stating that i had tried to tax the 530 and couldnt because its not on there system,

oh i forgot to mention that i was told if i want to tax it, it would have to taxed from july i told him to shove it and ill take my chances and id see him in court if need be

i explained its not my fault that you dont have enough time during the day to input car reg details,he replyed "that people shouldnt be leaving it to the last min "which i agreed but told him he got mine at the start of august why is it taking so long??and since the goverment knew about this months ago why didnt they have an online system setup months ago and not after this all kicked off,that shut him up:P:P

good side to all stories i suppose ,im using the car and have been stopped for no tax, showed the gaurd the stamped form and i got a "sure its some pile of shite they have setup, fecking goverment:huh:drive safe,nice car""thanks gaurd see ya"

and on a lighter note when ever the reciept finally arrives in ill only have to tax it from then

BMWHaus Guru

I got an e-mail from them saying they had received the declaration for the M5, but hadn't had a chance to process it yet. I think the government are hoping that we'll all think it's just too much trouble, and go out and buy more 132-reg cars