Quote Originally Posted by CitizenKane View Post
Thoughts?

.......Why can't people just not drive like idiots and apply common sense?
Therein lies the rub. A lot of people can't help themselves when it comes to being tools on the road. That's where the law comes in. In the same way that nothing focuses the mind like a deadline, nothing catches the attention like a fine or a sanction.

I actually don't have too much of a problem with this. Given that road quality has, by and large, improved in the country over the last couple of decades, M and N grade roads most notably (although many exceptions exist) then the excuse that speeding is required to make progress has diminished. We go to the tip top of Donegal frequently. With the motorway link along the western corridor and reasonably decent N roads, I can cover the 240 or so miles at an average speed of around 55mph without living in great fear of being affected by these laws. Those that are most likely to be affected would be similarly careless in wet/poor visibility/cold weather conditions too so, as far as I'm concerned, giving these drivers a stiff dose of medicine would be a good thing.

The most telling piece in the article is the reference to having your driving license on your person when driving. The fact that there is discretion means that a lot of people don't bother their hole to carry it, even though it has been a legal requirement for years. Its not a big burden. It might also help with the loop hole that a lot of people use to duck points or a license loser in court by not bringing their license when they challenge the fixed penalty notice.