As with every piece of Irish legislation the problem will be in the enforcement. Certainly doing over 30kmh above the limit in an urban location or on many N roads, particularly is madness. However, 150kmh on an empty motorway is nothing. Sadly I expect that the majority of the enforcement will be done on motorways where its easy to catch people, rather than on N roads where it would encourage safer driving, reducing the numbers caught but saving lives.

I think this is just electioneering, driven by Ross with the rest of the cabinet afraid of being seen as not caring about road deaths. In reality I think people don't drive like they used to. Back in the mid 90s I remember solid lines of traffic on National roads the whole way to Navan doing 80mph+ with some overtaking. I fondly remember racing my little Nissan Sunny against a 2.4L Mitsubishi Galant the whole way to Navan and only losing at the very end where the lanes merged outside the fire station on the ring road. Anyway, I digress. The point is that behaviour would now result in being reported by a concerned motorist and most likely an arrest.

I think if road safety was really a concern, rather than penalising car drivers, there would more safety campaigns for pedestrians and cyclists. J walking is now a god given right in Dublin and it seems lights on a bike are a polite suggestion to be considered, about 50% of time.