Thread: Insurance Gap Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Insurance Gap Question

Ok - Here goes. I have a fully comp car policy in my own name the last few years, most recently on my A6 Avant, I have sold the car in recent weeks as I have ordered a new Ford Ranger Wildtrack through a lease company - it will not land until Feb at the earliest. I sold the A6 now to get the most value from it now as it would be technically a year older come Feb and be worth thousands less knowing the current market!

The lease company have given me a run around FOC until the Ranger lands, it's a sh1tty Opel Zafira, but hey, it's free. My problem comes to insurance, I currently have a temporary sub onto the Zafira, which is up to a maximum of 28 days cover, which would cover me up to the week after next. My current insurer has said they will not cover me after that as my policy does not cover lease/rental vehicles - aha, I said, I have not leased nor rented the Zafira, it was provided FOC, but they say no, after 28 days the temp sub goes and you need to insure the Zafira in your own name, but you dont own it, so we cant insure it blah blah blah.

So my question is, anyone have experience of this, basically a loaner car bridging the gap between car sold and new one arriving? I know I need a commercial policy when the ranger arrives, but thats pretty much 2 months away.

Also, I do have driving other cars on my policy which technically would cover me, but only third party, and would prefer to be fully comp with the madness out on the roads lately!

Any other questions on this - shoot!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dossie01; 12-12-19 at 13:32.

Administrator
    Even if your insurance has ceased, I think there is a period of time in which you dont have to have insurance but you dont loose your NCB...could be wrong though.

Alternatively, leave your policy in place and rent a car until the new car is ready. Should be able to get a decent rate on mid term rentals.

Quote Originally Posted by Curran View Post
    Even if your insurance has ceased, I think there is a period of time in which you dont have to have insurance but you dont loose your NCB...could be wrong though.

Alternatively, leave your policy in place and rent a car until the new car is ready. Should be able to get a decent rate on mid term rentals.
    Thats correct, you retain your NCB for 2 years, thats not the problem though, they wont cover me on a rental either! Again, leased or rented they do not cover!

Administrator
    A rental comes with insurance

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Dossie01 View Post
    I do have driving other cars on my policy which technically would cover me, but only third party, and would prefer to be fully comp with the madness out on the roads lately!
    You say a shitty Zafira - do you mean a <€2k one ? If so, drive it around on your 3rd party extension - what's the worse that can happen ?

Also ask the insurance company if it's 28 days cover in one go ? It may be that you let it lax for one day (leave it parked up naturally) and that resets the clock for another 28 days....
    Current Daily: 2008 Lexus GS300 Sport F/L
    Current: E39 525i M Sport (Titan Silver)
    Previous: E34 520i SE (Orient Blue)

Quote Originally Posted by Big H View Post
    You say a shitty Zafira - do you mean a <€2k one ? If so, drive it around on your 3rd party extension - what's the worse that can happen ?

Also ask the insurance company if it's 28 days cover in one go ? It may be that you let it lax for one day (leave it parked up naturally) and that resets the clock for another 28 days....
    Its a 151, so worth a few quid more than 2k, so yeah prefer not to chance it.

I think you have nailed it my good man, axtually I am covered up until the 22nd december, I can give the Zafira back to the lease company, drive the wifes Focus over xmas as Lord knows we will be going the same places anyway, and temp sub the zafira back on in Jan when I am back at it. That could be the best solution