Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NCT on Tyres

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

NCT on Tyres

What is the minimum width tyre that the NCT will accept on a 8J wheel?

Had the E39 fail previously for a tyre being too narrow...there wasnt a crazy stretch on it, but do remember it looking worse than it was.

I know certain tyres of the same size fitted will appear more stretched than others. Does the tester just look at their appearance or have they a standard they abide by?

BMWHaus Guru
    Do you want to borrow some e39 wheels for the test?

Administrator
    No, no; was using that as a previous example of the issue I have. Thanks for the offer!

When the E39 failed, am almost sure it was a 225 tyre that looked quite stretched. Had always had 235s on it previously. Didnt question it at the time as they were needing to be replaced so stuck on new boots.

Now I've a set of 225s winters that I'm putting on a staggered set but the NCT is due next month and dont want the hassle of rotating again if they fail the stretch!! The right tyre obviously being 245. Some say they've passed on stretched and others say they have issues....wondering if they have a set rule.

NCT on Tyres

I’ve had stretched tyres go through the NCT many times over the years but last year the e38 got a visual on the tyres being too fat. The tester mentioned new or recent changes to the rules about tyre specifications but even the new rules don’t mention any parameters for a fail for stretch or oversized or any of the likes so I got away with that one. I think in that case you just got a picky tester like I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FunkySeeFunkyDoo; 14-01-20 at 17:46.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Apparently you can put a 215 to 245 tyre on an 8J wheel.

I have two sets of wheels for my e46. One set is 8Jx17 and the other is 8Jx18. Both have 225 wide tyres from factory so that should be fine.

Administrator
    225 is the 7.5J standard tyre

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but doesn't really state anything about tyre width v wheel width. All I'm getting from it, is if tyres on the same axle are different, they'll fail.
    On the E39 both tyres were 225 when I was told they were the wrong size. Had they been brand new I'd have queried it, but just had them changed.

Ross, more research on wheel-size.com does support your thoughts on the fitment of 225s on 8j as standard from factory.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Curran View Post
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but doesn't really state anything about tyre width v wheel width. All I'm getting from it, is if tyres on the same axle are different, they'll fail.
    On the E39 both tyres were 225 when I was told they were the wrong size. Had they been brand new I'd have queried it, but just had them changed.

Ross, more research on wheel-size.com does support your thoughts on the fitment of 225s on 8j as standard from factory.

Thats why I ended up going with the 225 for the winters. I hate the idea of a tyre that is outside spec, but all my researched showed a 225 is perfectly fine on 8j. Plus 245 winters were stupid expensive!
    E92 Interlagos Blue M3 - Current
    F10 Sophisto Grey 530d M-Sport - Sold
    F21 M135i Estoril Blue - Sold
    E92 Sapphire Black 335d M-Sport
    - Sold
    E36 328i SE Low Miler - Sold
    E46 Estoril Blue M3 - Sold
    E46 Titan Silver 330ci Clubsport - Sold
    E36 Cosmos Black 318is - Dead

I seriously wouldn't be accepting a failure on a 225 on an 8J..... Don't E46 MV1 / MV2 come with a 225/40 on the fronts (8J) standard?

I have a 7J wheel on my Fiesta and 195 is a standard size for them.
    Last edited by RossYB; 14-01-20 at 18:38.