Thread: Bmw 640d Gran Coupe N57 timing chain replacement and more ....

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Bmw 640d Gran Coupe N57 timing chain replacement and more ....

This 640d came in with strange vibration ,it was very bad and very slight rattle in the engine . Rattle sound , stretched timing chain noise , and vibration , later was found ,was caused by worn engine mount ,so it got both new engine mounts and now runs smooth as she left the factory . Customer had problems with engine light warning and permanent loose of power , which disappears every time after switch off of the engine . But about this later on ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    About faults , there was lot different faults , DPF faults , too big back pressure before DPF , EGR faults , these are on recall in Bmw , exhaust gas pressure before turbo ,and so on .
    So the first ,inlet system was fully stripped out and cleaned . Once engine was out , we checked bearings as well , these engines has one more very weak spot , cranks and bearings . Very common problem , too long service intervals and oil quality does not help here .
    Next step , old and perished vacuum hoses was replaced , and once engine was fitted back , long test drive was done . To regenerate DPF filter and clean all the dirt. The drive was quite long , as engine fault was coming on every 10-20 km , I took spin after work hours to get away of traffic ,and this this helped me a lot . DPF back pressure and as soot masses literally was dropped to 0 . The faults start to disappear , and came back only once after longer journey . So gave it back to customer for good test drive . After few weeks got it back , checked the faults and investigation ended on boost control solenoid for exhaust flap actuator , all problems now sorted , happy days ....

BMWHaus Contributor
    Am on the lookout for one of these 640d’s ..... and was wondering how the m57 would be against the n57

So are we likely to see the same issues on all of the like the n47 2.0d??

Is this an easier replacement? Chain at the front of the engine??maybe I should hold onto my e60 535d

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Obriener2054 View Post
    Am on the lookout for one of these 640d’s ..... and was wondering how the m57 would be against the n57

So are we likely to see the same issues on all of the like the n47 2.0d??

Is this an easier replacement? Chain at the front of the engine??maybe I should hold onto my e60 535d
    N57 engine design is same as N47 , 6 cylinders and 4 cylinders , and yes , chain is at the back of the engine .
    M57N engine chains are at the front of the engine and last at least 300k km , seen good few of them with broken chains at 310k 330k km .

BMWHaus Contributor
    I thought the only difference was the block on the n57 was alloy unlike the m57..

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Obriener2054 View Post
    I thought the only difference was the block on the n57 was alloy unlike the m57..
    M57 iron block , M57TU or sometimes called M57N aluminum block , TU means updated . N57 completely new engine .

Last edited by Valdelisbmw; 17-01-20 at 19:18.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Interesting.... Should’ve kept the m57