Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Hatch recommendations.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Hot Hatch recommendations.

So doing a bit of man maths at the moment, I am considering moving on the Range Rover.

Currently have the hyundai i40 estate which fulfills the family duties perfectly.

The Rangerover is fine, but I do a lot of urban driving for work, lots of starting and stopping.

The Range Rover is extremely comfortable for trips to Cork to visit inlaws etc which I may miss

At the moment the wife is using it for the school commute I then use the i40.

My plan is to give the wife the i40 and sell the RR, with the intention of picking up a hot hatch for popping about town in for work. The i40 will be grand for the kids dog and buggies etc.

Budget between 5 and 9 K.

Considering mini Cooper S
    Opel corsa opc
    Renault clio RS sport.

I'm open to suggestions, it may not happen at all, I'm just kicking about alternatives in my head.

Sent from my TRT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Racing is Life anything that happens before or after is just waiting~ Steve McQueen

BMWHaus Contributor
    would you not step up a size and go for a megane 225? thats what id love anyway, corsa opc are not fast enough and even of you do need to the back seats there a joke because of the big recaros!

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by alan b View Post
    would you not step up a size and go for a megane 225?
    This Megane 225 would be a riot and well below budget - 5 door practicality and crucially with plenty of work done recently too...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...k-tec/23878520
    Current Daily: 2008 Lexus GS300 Sport F/L
    Current: E39 525i M Sport (Titan Silver)
    Previous: E34 520i SE (Orient Blue)

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Big H View Post
    This Megane 225 would be a riot and well below budget - 5 door practicality and crucially with plenty of work done recently too...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...k-tec/23878520
    Alan actually sent me this link earlier, looks interesting, not sure all the mods would be up my street, but looks like it would be fun to drive, nice price point too!!

Racing is Life anything that happens before or after is just waiting~ Steve McQueen

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillipepper View Post
    Alan actually sent me this link earlier, looks interesting, not sure all the mods would be up my street, but looks like it would be fun to drive, nice price point too!!

I know the second owner of that car, he is from around this neck of the woods too. It's been through a few hands since but it was a great car when he had it. Quick too, i had a standard mk5 GTi at the time and I wouldn't have seen where this went on a backroad. Underrated for sure.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillipepper View Post

I know the second owner of that car, he is from around this neck of the woods too. It's been through a few hands since but it was a great car when he had it. Quick too, i had a standard mk5 GTi at the time and I wouldn't have seen where this went on a backroad. Underrated for sure.

BMWHaus Guru
    I'd say sell the Range Rover, sell the i40, sell the wife and the kids and buy a race car

Joking aside, a GTI is probably too obvious but it's the nicest as far as these front wheel drive hatch back things go, no? Practicality with a dash of German quality and a sprinkle of fun on top

BMWHaus Contributor
    I'd steer clear of an opel. very unreliable.

I've got a 2005 type r civic. Although it's not everyone's cup of tea, It is great fun. I was able to drive to mondello, do a full day out including giving a few of the lads a go, and drive home with no issues apart from a set of warped brake discs.

Golf gti would be a more practical daily to be fair.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Administrator
    Seeing as you feel you might miss the comfort, would something like an E82 1 Series fit the bill?
    S3 or TT even?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Curran View Post
    Seeing as you feel you might miss the comfort, would something like an E82 1 Series fit the bill?
    S3 or TT even?
    That generation one series (the only 1 series I drove) is seriously fun, even the 116i.

But I'm guessing you want one with some habanero sauce on it so here's a nice 123d (coupe though) in budget with some contingency cash for chains/turbos.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...sport/21720656