You'll be getting me all nostalgic with that suggestion (GTI) . The last car I had before switching to BMW's in the '90's was a MK2 GTI. I loved it and it broke my heart in equal measure.

No question that they are a proper suggestion. Mrs D has been running around in a 2015 150bhp estate for nearly a year and the experience with it has been wholly positive, she loves it - that coming after a line of 3 series, including a couple of Tourings. My only misgivings for one for me (have considered a GTD) is that I find the seats give me a bit of backache after a while in the chair. A run to Donegal in it the other week confirmed that, although the intended usage wouldn't involve very long periods behind the wheel. Hers is a GT spec so the seats are a halfway house between a standard seat and the GTI's sport seats in terms of support/adjustability, etc. The other concern is that a few neighbours considered having a whip around when the Golf arrived, thinking we'd fallen on hard times Two would send them over the edge!