Thread: Boot latch won’t close/lock - 2006 318Ci

BMWHaus Guru

Boot latch won’t close/lock - 2006 318Ci

Another one on the perpetually increasing list of things going wrong with my car:

My boot won’t lock or close. The latch doesn’t close automatically when I close the boot or if I try to lock it with the key or remote.

I can lock it by popping it into place with a screwdriver (as per the video below) but of course I can’t do this when the boot is closed.

The video below shows the issue. At 0:06 is when I use the remote key to open the boot, no problem there. The rest of the video is locking and unlocking the car with nothing happening in the latch actuator. At 0:20 is me forcing the latch to shut using a screwdriver, which is the only way it closes.

https://youtu.be/PnNt0jFCFV8

Interestingly I bought a replacement latch acuator unit but the issue still persists, so it seems like something other than the latch actuator itself (unless the replacement part happened to have the same fault, which is possible).
    Last edited by CitizenKane; 17-03-20 at 16:08.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Wonder has the receiver come loose and gone too low so the lock wont engage?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    I thought that and I removed the receiver and cleaned it out because I thought there might be some stones or dirt or something blocking it, but it seems to be fine.

From reading around a bit I have a feeling it might be a broken ground wire in the boot wiring loom (as per this video: https://youtu.be/SezYJ5uDJoM )

Will take a look at that tomorrow. Hope that’s not the case as anything to do with wiring/soldering, etc. is out of my comfort zone!

BMWHaus Guru
    I’m still trying to figure this out.

I decided to remove the receiver from the car to see if it still engages the latch by pushing into it and surprisingly it does. See video: https://youtu.be/X8Bk6G8q16I

So the problem seems to be that the latch isn’t reaching the receiver properly when I close the boot, but I have no idea why.

Anyone have any thoughts?