Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I love BMW but......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Post I love BMW but......

I love BMW, obviously. But nothing is perfect, and in BMW's history there have been some cars which I personally have such a deep dislike towards that I just pretend they don't exist, so much so that I forget they actually do.

An example of this is the e36 compact (sorry I know there's some love for them on here, but different strokes for different folks, freedom of speech etc)..... I can't tell you other examples simply because I've willed them out of my memory.

However, a friend was describing a car to me yesterday which reminded me of the existence of one such example - the 5 series GT - and instantly triggered my gag reflex... He sent me a link to this Beshoff's ad....

https://www.beshoffmotors.ie/viewana..._id=2537126&r=

I was mid protest as I was opening it but as I went through the pictures I slowly quietened down and started thinking.... "hmmm... not bad!!!"

Now this is the "6 series" (still not happy about it being referred to as a 6 series) but with the refreshed, G30-fied looks, the front end, sloping roof line and that rear end... It got my attention!

It's kind of like running into "that girl you never paid attention to in school" after a few years have passed and think "Oooo... I would, yea"

It kind of looks like an X6... saloon? I don't know, but I like it! Particularly in white with the pano roof.

Are these quarantine-goggles? Or does anyone feel the same?

Anybody have a similar story about other cars in BMW's history?

Edit:

PS. for the sake of comparison, here it is "when it was in school"....

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbyca...-turismo-2009/

My mother had a new e36 compact back in the day...

And the an e46 compact in pistachio green from new also...

Absolute go karts of cars (esp the E46).

But my dad currently has one of those GT cars... Absolutely horrid but he loves it.. basically it's a 7 series interior on a 5 series chassis with X6 styling...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru

I love BMW but......

I’ve said it numerous times and I still stick to what I say, the pinnacle of BMW models where the E46/E39/E38 and E53 models. Pre these models they where working up nicely with impressive models refining them in each generation.

After the above the quality went down hill imho, between chocolate engines and soft interiors it went a bit “I want you to change your car every 5 years” not “I want you to hold onto it until retirement” attitude.

Pointless models for me are mostly the X4, X6 and X7. I understand why they make them but I don’t understand why they make them

Quote Originally Posted by alan996 View Post
    My mother had a new e36 compact back in the day...

And the an e46 compact in pistachio green from new also...

Absolute go karts of cars (esp the E46).

But my dad currently has one of those GT cars... Absolutely horrid but he loves it.. basically it's a 7 series interior on a 5 series chassis with X6 styling...

The 5 series Gt is a 7 series chassis with a 5 series interior . As most said and it’s very true, they look a bit wrong but they work very well. Drove a 530gt for a week and with dropping the kids off, buggies etc it was an impressive machine to have. Just need to squint your eyes every time you walk past the rear of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by HealyC View Post
    I’ve said it numerous times and I still stick to what I say, the pinnacle of BMW models where the E46/E39/E38 and E53 models. Pre these models they where working up nicely with impressive models refining them in each generation.

After the above the quality went down hill imho, between chocolate engines and soft interiors it went a bit “I want you to change your car every 5 years” not “I want you to hold onto it until retirement” attitude.
    Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by HealyC View Post

Pointless models for me are mostly the X4, X6 and X7. I understand why they make them but I don’t understand why they make them
    Completely agree. The E46/E39/E38/E53 were the last cars designed before EU emissions targets became a pivotal focus for car manufacturers.

The additional complexity required to achieve lower CO2 targets added significant cost. This had to be offset elsewhere, with one area being cheaper interior materials. These changes in approach brought about an inevitable drop in reliability of the drivetrain and durability of the interior. To be fair, I expect this has happened across the board with all volume car manufacturers.

For me, I want to pick up a low mileage, E38 LCI before market values start reflecting that this era was the high water mark for BMW.

As for the 5 Series GT, I think it was answering a question no-one was asking. BMW aimed to deliver a hybrid of high-end saloon and SUV practicality but in the US and China, most people in that bracket just bought the X5 or X6. I think BMW learned its lesson, hence why there is now an X model for every series from 1 to 7.

This Beshoff link doesn’t seem to work Peter. Anyway yes the new G-generation GT is a bit better looking, still pretty ugly though comparing to the direct competitor - A7. I had previous generation A7 for few years and it was perfect all rounder. Rear hatch was making it perfect car for family+dog. It was great car to eat up motorway miles in - I’ve done several continent trips in it. It was also lovely place to be while sitting in Dublin traffic.
    I’m sure GT is as competent as A7. Not sure though why someone would pick it over it

Funny I wouldn't have considered the A7 and the GT as in the same bracket..

One is style with a little bit of substance.. the other is just ugly with a big boot....

I know my panamera is not the prettiest but it's definitely not GT levels of ugly... I would however have considered the A7 a comparable 'class' of car to the panamera.

In saying that the panamera is a F segment car, which puts it in competition with the S Class, Audi A8 etc

And the A7 and 5/6 series are E segment.. so completely pants observation above on my part...

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Have to admit I was never a fan of the E46 compact. I thought they were even worse than the E36. After buying the E46 325ti I can’t really say that anymore. It’s a great little car with the right engine.

Definitely Panamera has more premium badge and much higher list price when new. I would put it in the same category for used cars though: practical grand tourers. It has Audi engines after all (diesel and hybrid versions)

Administrator
    Was recently looking at options for a potential change for my father. I stumbled arcoss the 6-GT on one of those browsing searches, set to budget and engine size. My initial thoughts where 'Ohh', why didnt I think of this!' And then started flicking through the images and kind of went off the boil...but I had to remember it was for my father. So the interior and practically suited his needs quite well so put it foward as an option. As it stands, Im still undecided if I'd like him driving it I'd like to see one up close and have a good look around the exterior to see if it is a thumbs up or down. Certainly a vast improvement over the 1st generation of GTs!!!