Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW M140i/340i/440i

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BMW M140i/340i/440i

If i wasn't in the middle of closing on a new house i would be already looking to buy something newer to replace the 335. For my next car be it the end of the year or next I'm looking at 3 different options in the BMW range, 2016+ with the B58 engine is current desire, im in the car most of the time by myself so i am kind of leaning more towards the 1er. My preferences for the models/current opinions.

BMW m140i - 5 door version with 8 speed ZF, small and agile, but can be quite twitchy out of the box
    https://www.usedcarsni.com/2016-BMW-...&search_type=1

BMW 340i - tourer version, good allrounder, a bit more planted compared to the 1er, more luggage space for trips away, airport runs, future buggy's...
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...us=1500&page=1

BMW 440i - GC version , more of a comfy cruiser, nicer interior, less nimble maybe than the above models, plenty of room for golf clubs

All of the above have the peach of the B58 engine, remaps very easily to over 400bhp and 470 with some hardware upgrades. M performance rear LSD from BMW and you have a very fast capable car for the "morning commutes"

Any members on here that have experience with any of these cars? I would love an m340i xDrive but they are still out of the sensible spend price range:

Administrator
    I've the M135i with the N55 and it has the Bird's suspension upgrade package and the M Performance Exhaust...an LSD would be nice to have. Overall, I love it. Never fails to put a smile on my face.

Sounds like we have similar requirements for daily use / commute. It does have limitations on the practicality aspect but the seats go down so get around most situations. Also the wife has an X3 so that's the family wagon. I think when I change it, though it could be quite a bit down the road, I reckon it'll be for a 340i Touring. Wanted to check the hot hatch box having owed only bigger cars, 5's and 3's for short periods, since my 1st car, a MkI Focus 1.4l....no regrets in just over 6 months of ownership so far!!

BMWHaus Guru
    We had a 1er up until recently - not a 140i mind you - our 7 year old was getting too leggy for the back seats, so if rear seating space is a consideration I'd look at the 3er or 4er

Quote Originally Posted by kdevitt View Post
    We had a 1er up until recently - not a 140i mind you - our 7 year old was getting too leggy for the back seats, so if rear seating space is a consideration I'd look at the 3er or 4er
    Im 6ft 4 myself so usually there isn't much room behind me anyway, no kids yet to worry about but probably in the next few years one or two will be made!

Ill must go test out these new models and see how i like the cabin setup, they would be the same with only the engines differing across the range i guess.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan335 View Post
    Im 6ft 4 myself so usually there isn't much room behind me anyway, no kids yet to worry about but probably in the next few years one or two will be made!

Ill must go test out these new models and see how i like the cabin setup, they would be the same with only the engines differing across the range i guess.
    Strip out the back and stick in a roll cage so - I'm 5ft 8 and rear space was limited if that gives you an indication of things. That said, it would be fine for a kid up to 5 or so.

Thanks for the input, i wouldn't be opposed to the M135i option but i would want the LCI version as i prefer the look. I am more drawn the the performance potential aspect of the B58 motor though there only seems to be about 1k gbp in the difference between a 2015 m135i or 2016 m140i.

The 440i is not that far off early M4 money either so would maybe off he list at this point.

Herself is still a learner driving a banger of a Corsa but she wants a big SUV style yoke once she gets her full Irish license and we get into the new house over the next couple of weeks. so i may be able to get away with the 140i handy enough. You could probably get one landed for about 27-29k

BMWHaus Guru
    The 440i is awesome, one of the lads had a 181 440i with the M Performance exhaust, intercooler and tune. Plus it had a few nice carbon bits.

It was a pretty quick machine and it sounded really nice, better than the M4 in fact. It is nearly as quick as the M3/M4, I drove it along side (literally alongside) an F80 M3 and there wasn't much in it with the M3 being stock and the 440i with the M Performance tune.

I've just landed an F31 340i and all I can say is wow....what an engine!! The B58 is unreal...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    F31 340i M Sport Shadow Edition

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post
    I've just landed an F31 340i and all I can say is wow....what an engine!! The B58 is unreal...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Excellent choice....having a M135I but with the N55, something more spacious with a B58 will be the next move I think.

BMWHaus Guru
    MPerformance exhaust on that now, sound swill be unreal without being obnoxious.

Well wear with the new car!