With the e60 mileometer now reading in to the 130k's and with the UK import situation likely to get a little messier at least after year end I've spent a few idle lock-down moments contemplating replacements.

A chat with Captain Sensible highlighted that it would hard to go wrong with a late F10 520d M-Sport, EU6 compliant, with a fairly modest mileage. These are stonking value from the UK at the moment if you buy it right, the B48 seems to be holding up reasonable well and shouldn't cost a great deal in either standing or running costs as we go through the next years with e Green Party influenced government. The low costs would contribute a few bob to a year round use weekend car (nothing firm on what that might be but not the subject matter here). The Captain made a good case. There is an assumption here that said Green influence doesn't demonize EU6 diesel at a faster rate than newer EU emissions standards will. Its true that a 520d is about as good as it gets in its class for the next while with CO2 and NOx given that WLTP figures are generally having a negative impact on emissions values and therefore in some cases emissions bands, etc. Its fair to say that a 520d would be well up to the job and is a generally pleasant place to be. Late ones have a decent standard spec and sufficient creature comforts for the role.

Older petrols though, generally have NOx emissions that compare well with EU6 diesels, at least as far back as EU4 compliant cars, further in many cases. Against their contemporaries in diesel they really shine. So, I've found a couple of older cars that would cost less than the 520d but have notably higher running costs. We'll come to the running costs later.

2008 - e63 630i Sport manual, LCI, low miles, from a main dealer and AUC.
2009 - e60 530i M-Sport with a very nice spec, ticking a good few boxes in both the needs and wants categories, from a dealer.
2010 - f10 528i SE - modest miles, good spec, an M-Sport spec in almost all but name, from a dealer.

None of these are cheap for cars that are at least 10 years old but I have a car allowance that would cover TCO costs. The slight price differences between them are not to be a limiting factor. The purchase cost difference compared to a 2016 520d is probably €4-6k less but over 3 years and 45k miles, comparing TCO (including servicing, maintenance, depreciation, consumables and fuel - based on experience and calculation) then the cost advantage swings to the 520d by between €2750-3500 per year. Not a lifechanging, but also not an insignificant amount.

One advantage that the e63 could have is that it could play both the roles of daily and weekend car easily, given that initially, at least, the weekend car would be my existing e63 if I went in th direction of the 520d.

Thoughts? What way would you go with these choices? Maybe, lets keep it to these choices for the moment, so lets not go the route of suggesting M2's, M3's, M4's, M5's, M6's, etc.