Thread: E60 CIC retrofit/NBT Retrofit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

E60 CIC retrofit/NBT Retrofit

Just looking for a bit of advice, the CCC in my car is getting caught in the loop of constant reset

Has anyone any tips/links/advice for retrofit of an upgraded system or any other options for this?

I know there's plenty online about it but would like to hear from someone who has done it or deal with someone in Ireland to do it for me

Thanks

BMWHaus Guru
    I had NBT retro fitted to an E92 a few years ago. I found it worth it at the time and was a massive improvement over CCC. In saying that, if I was doing it again I would consider some of the newer Android boxes from China, something along the lines of this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_

NBT is very dated at this stage so wouldn't be worth the effort or cost, you'd be looking at EVO to make it worthwhile.
    E92 Interlagos Blue M3 - Current
    F10 Sophisto Grey 530d M-Sport - Sold
    F21 M135i Estoril Blue - Sold
    E92 Sapphire Black 335d M-Sport
    - Sold
    E36 328i SE Low Miler - Sold
    E46 Estoril Blue M3 - Sold
    E46 Titan Silver 330ci Clubsport - Sold
    E36 Cosmos Black 318is - Dead

BMWHaus Guru
    I’ve the CIC in my E60 and although it looks a lot newer and similar to the NBT it’s not much better than the CCC.

As Ketron said unless you go for the NBT Evo upgrade id be looking at a Chinese android unit. I’ve been looking at an Andream unit for mine which means I can use Apple CarPlay and keep my own 8.8” screen.

A friend of mine recently fitted one to his F31 and says if great.........when it wants to work he’s been told a software update will cure it but I’ll see how he gets on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve fitted Android unit into my E92 and I’m overall happy with it. It’s not automotive quality software so have some bugs here and there but overall usability (waze, google maps, Spotify) makes it worth it (at least for me).

One thing to bear in mind though - Android is kind of overlay on the original CCC. If your OEM main unit is toasted - not sure it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketron View Post
    I had NBT retro fitted to an E92 a few years ago. I found it worth it at the time and was a massive improvement over CCC. In saying that, if I was doing it again I would consider some of the newer Android boxes from China, something along the lines of this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_

NBT is very dated at this stage so wouldn't be worth the effort or cost, you'd be looking at EVO to make it worthwhile.
    ok, ya im be thinking something similar that its relatively old technology now and the cost is high when you consider what your getting

Quote Originally Posted by HealyC View Post
    I’ve the CIC in my E60 and although it looks a lot newer and similar to the NBT it’s not much better than the CCC.

As Ketron said unless you go for the NBT Evo upgrade id be looking at a Chinese android unit. I’ve been looking at an Andream unit for mine which means I can use Apple CarPlay and keep my own 8.8” screen.

A friend of mine recently fitted one to his F31 and says if great.........when it wants to work he’s been told a software update will cure it but I’ll see how he gets on.

Yes id love to know what they are like in terms of real world functionality and reliability

This would be tempting to try out at the price point
    https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll...33751026565256

Quote Originally Posted by wcooba View Post
    I’ve fitted Android unit into my E92 and I’m overall happy with it. It’s not automotive quality software so have some bugs here and there but overall usability (waze, google maps, Spotify) makes it worth it (at least for me).

One thing to bear in mind though - Android is kind of overlay on the original CCC. If your OEM main unit is toasted - not sure it will work.

Good point on the CCC unit, its not completly toast but does need a reset every couple of journeys. my understanding is that it does piggyback on the factory unit for certain functions and access to service menu etc is still available as the original unit is still functional in the backgroud

Yes exactly - you can switch back and forth between the original CCC and Android. Android is quite well integrated into the car too - steering wheel buttons work & there is a way to get idrive knob working with apps too i.e. for map zooming. That actually beats up OEM CarPlay in my other car, where apps don’t support idrive controller.

Quote Originally Posted by wcooba View Post
    Yes exactly - you can switch back and forth between the original CCC and Android. Android is quite well integrated into the car too - steering wheel buttons work & there is a way to get idrive knob working with apps too i.e. for map zooming. That actually beats up OEM CarPlay in my other car, where apps don’t support idrive controller.

ah ok, I had a look back through your thread, very helpful info and thanks for your response(s) A real world opinion is great to hear

Will pull the trigger on the same android unit i think, can't justify the $$$ for an OEM retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by duffy16v View Post
    ah ok, I had a look back through your thread, very helpful info and thanks for your response(s) A real world opinion is great to hear

Will pull the trigger on the same android unit i think, can't justify the $$$ for an OEM retrofit
    Cheers - feel free to PM me if need any advice when installing it. Also since I got mine they released Android 10 version - probably worth getting the latest one.