Quote Originally Posted by dergside View Post
Alan, it looks like you had a Boxter S as well as a 2.7. Interested to hear your comparison on those. I'd probably look in the direction of a Boxter to follow the Z4 as a very limited use toy at some stage.
It's a bit of a weird comparison tbh...

I'll take it in order....

My 944S2 was ~200bhp but had mountains of torque as it was a 3l inline 4

The 2.7 had more BHP but made much less torque. I think that is what threw me and why I didn't like the car. The 2.7 (and esp 2.5) don't have the same level of torque but really love to rev. Probably not helped by the fact I spun the 2.7 in to a barrier in mondello (thankfully at low speed).

The 3.2s was 260bhp (ish) but had way more torque. Plus it was a TIPTRONIC (shock horror). The tiptronic gearbox really suits the larger torquier engines - and if you know how to drive it, you can control it via your right foot...

The only reason I sold it was a 996 came up for sale privately 2 years later that I had actually tried to buy before I got the boxster S - but I missed out on it back then.

So, roll on the 996... Back in a manual again, but now we had the torque and the power with the 3.4. the boxster was scalpel like.... 996 was more like a razor blade...

Out of all of them - in some ways I miss the 3.2s more but maybe because it was pre family and sensible stuff like that..

If you can stomach the road tax go 3.2 and don't rule out tiptronic. It's a MB box and really you can track it, cruise, double tap to go down 2 gears. Unless you plan to track it a lot, it's a more practical gearbox

986, 996, 987 and 997 all use the M96 engine so unless you are going to 2009+ they all share the same date re IMS, scoring etc

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk