Quote Originally Posted by alan996 View Post
Nice write up...

But for the sound - you have to wind up the revs.

There is NOTHING like the howl of a flat 6 - a cold air induction kit really helps it though..

And for the brakes - they are servo'd.. they just aren't over servo'd like most cars.

The brakes are probably the best thing on a Porsche - they are so progressive and predictable. Whenever I drive my wife's f30 I nearly go through the windscreen the first few times I brake....

Porsches are sutble and understated... Sure there are halo models but for the main part they are about the drive.

I've been lucky in that I've driven/tracked a lot of varieties but my 996 C4 was my favorite just because it was usable (daily driver for 8 years). It was like a scalpel in terms of response and accuracy on the road. Even my panamera has that steering and brake precision..

And I say that having driven 996 turbo, 964 RS, 997 GT3, 997 turbo and even a 997.2 GT3 RS

All amazing cars but sometimes less is more..

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I'm very curious about a 4 wheel drive variant after driving this, how do they compare? Can you get on the power early in corners or does the front get light as well?

8 years in any car is very impressive and says it all really, I must find one to drive!

I 100% agree about less being more, I thoroughly enjoyed the driver involvement I got in this without having to go super fast. I've banged on about this at length multiple times about how BMW should have a lightweight / low power M car with all the things that make M cars so enjoyable (think of something like a 2 series with 1100 kgs, 250bhp, nice seats, bespoke trim bits, gearing that makes the most of the available power and an LSD for circa 40-50k) no unnecessary stuff, literally electric windows.. and A/C. Have it basically stripped out but in a way that doesn't make it look like a stripped out track car.

But no... we get AWD for irrelevant faster 0-60 times (for bragging rights of course) and grills for the chinese market

Re: less is more 2 cars that remain in my memory as particularly fun cars were a very early 116i (yes, really! Nice suspension set up, perfect gearing and lots of fun to wind up), and a DSG 105bhp 7.5 Golf rental (fantastic gearbox, and again gearing that made the most of the power, really was entertaining and that was back to back after getting out of the M2 Competition which says a lot!) but of course neither felt "special".