Thread: Nurburgring Trip 2020

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Nurburgring Trip 2020

Finishing my masters the end of August and as a little celebration a friend and I are going to the nurburgring around the end of September or early October.

We are planning on driving over myself in the e46 and my friend in an i8, was planning on roughly 4 days to get over and back, is this realistic?

Also can anyone here that has done it recommend a route, or itinerary? BMW welt tour is on the cards.

Appreciate any advice or input.

Tony

Sent from my TRT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Racing is Life anything that happens before or after is just waiting~ Steve McQueen

BMWHaus Contributor
    I had it booked in June in the m3 and cancelled
    Will be going on the drive over
    I think 4-5 days should be ok
    Any less is a waste
    What route were you planning was it Rotterdam

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by claude View Post
    I had it booked in June in the m3 and cancelled
    Will be going on the drive over
    I think 4-5 days should be ok
    Any less is a waste
    What route were you planning was it Rotterdam

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Claude,

I am pretty open, to be honest, what I am after is some fun scenic routes, my initial thoughts are Dublin to Hollyhead, Hollyhead to Dover, Hit the channel tunnel to Calais, and then on into Nurburg.
    Racing is Life anything that happens before or after is just waiting~ Steve McQueen

BMWHaus Contributor
    We went via fishguard, wales then Eurotunnel to France. Wales has some really lovely smooth country roads. Calais to Nurburg is a fair all drive but can be done in one day easy enough... We just bombed all the way down without stopping, it was middle of the summer in blistering heat, with A/C barely working so I dont have fond memories of that leg.

Keep in mind sometimes they might close the track due to accident and you might not get out at all that day. We spent two days there and were lucky enough to get out good few times. It definite aint cheap for a lap. I'd recommend getting an instructor to hop in with you to make the most as it is intimidating track.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I’m planning on doing this in September too. Would love to hear how plans are shaping up.
    Current: '03 E46 Individual M3 Cabrio, ‘00 E38 740i Sport.

Previous: '05 E46 Individual 320Cd Coupe, '01 E38 Individual 728i, '98 E36/7 Z3 1.9, '98 E36 323i Sport Coupe, '97 E36 318i Cabrio, '05 E53 X5 3.0i Sport, 2010 E89 Z4 S-Drive 23i and '01 E36/7 Z3 2.2i Sport

Good luck on the trip, I'd love to go sometime. I was in Welt last year. Its a great place but just down the road they have the classic museum

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...am?language=en

Definitely worth the trip (I thought it was better than Welt) and you will be disappointed if you miss it. Once a month they have meets outside the museum, if you time it right you should be able to join one.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I’ve gone every year for the last 6 and going again in September, I’ve done every route at least twice including the long ferry to Cherbourg
    Best route is dublin - Fishguard - hull - Rotterdam and then it’s only a 3hr drive to adenau
    Time all your ferries so your getting onto the 10hr hull one late at night around 9 ish so once you get on you can eat in the buffet restaurant which is very good and then get a good nights sleep in your cabin so your ready to go and hit the road at 6 the following morning gives you an ideal amount of time to get to the ring and check in/relax before tf opens at 5pm
    We have detoured to Antwerp before and it’s lovely, we’ve also gone via Calais and stayed in a town called hasselt which is one of the nicest places I’ve been
    We’ve also made a massive trip out of it and covered half of France and Germany whilst doing ocktoberfest in Munich
    How long are you planning on actually being at the ring for?
    We usually leave mayo at 3am on a Saturday morning and get to the ring for 11am or so Sunday morning and that’s with a few stops along the way in the Uk

BMWHaus Guru
    Bit of an update, unfortunately covid has put a spanner in any sort of trip for this year at least.

However I am planning a weekend trip starting on a Friday morning and finishing up on a Sunday evening shortly, initial thoughts are a section of the wild Atlantic way with some scenic costal routes through Clare , Fraser454 will be joining me in his i8.

Also if anyone is interested in a mini trip you are more than welcome, the route can be planned to suit as needed (obviously social distancing will be adhered to)

Some nice driving, along with some points of interest for quick stop offs are the order of the day.

If anyone is interested it would be great to have you on board, with all the negativity surrounding covid, it may be good to let your hair down and enjoy ourselves.

Sent from my TRT-LX1 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    You can take in Porsche and Mercedes museum in Stuttgart too, 3hr15 drive, very doable. Book a Porsche for the day too to pootle about in as well, book in advance though. Hockenheimring is on the way too.

Make sure you head for Nurburg not Nuremberg!!! A buddy of mine on our trip tried to convince me the track was in Nuremberg! 😂