Thread: BMW uk warranty transfer to BMW Ireland?

BMW uk warranty transfer to BMW Ireland?

Does anyone know how i would go about transferring the BMW UK warranty to an Irish main dealer, is it even possible or needed to be done?

BMWHaus Contributor
    You don’t need to transfer it as the original BMW warranty covers you in Ireland however I would give them a call to let them know of your change of address for when it comes time to renew the warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan335 View Post
    Does anyone know how i would go about transferring the BMW UK warranty to an Irish main dealer, is it even possible or needed to be done?
    Current: '03 E46 Individual M3 Cabrio, ‘00 E38 740i Sport.

Previous: '05 E46 Individual 320Cd Coupe, '01 E38 Individual 728i, '98 E36/7 Z3 1.9, '98 E36 323i Sport Coupe, '97 E36 318i Cabrio, '05 E53 X5 3.0i Sport, 2010 E89 Z4 S-Drive 23i and '01 E36/7 Z3 2.2i Sport

BMWHaus Contributor
    Exactly. We had a breakdown a couple of years in the UK. Car was still under BMW warranty. Anyway turned out to be an injector. Was replaced under warranty at a BMW dealer no issues

BMWHaus Guru
    Be careful....THe 3 year warranty in the UK becomes a 2 year warranty if the car is exported out of the UK. It's in the fine print.

I just transferred the 340i into BMW Ireland for it's service plan. I could also extend the AUC warranty at a very reasonable price.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    F31 340i M Sport Shadow Edition

It's a bit odd how it works..

My wife's car was imported about 3 years ago by someone (it's a 161)

I extended the warranty just before the end of the manufacturer warranty but had to use the UK reg - so there was no issue with the car being in Ireland. Seems their computer system can't cope with changing a reg no... They had no trace of it in Ireland as they have separate computer systems for Ireland and the UK.

The other odd thing is that it had a service pack which is 3 years in the uk (as opposed to 5 here). But when it went in for the egr recall it was serviced also under the service pack (in year 4)

So looks like even though you only have a 3 year service pack in the UK, in Ireland it just assumes it 5 years (or maybe it's just Joe Duffy)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bayerische View Post
    Be careful....THe 3 year warranty in the UK becomes a 2 year warranty if the car is exported out of the UK. It's in the fine print.
    Nope, the 3 year original BMW warranty is honored over here as BMW UK and BMW Ireland are the same distributor. I had an imported E90 years ago and had warranty work done on it by an Irish dealer in year 3 of the original BMW warranty with no problem.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bazz26 View Post
    Nope, the 3 year original BMW warranty is honored over here as BMW UK and BMW Ireland are the same distributor. I had an imported E90 years ago and had warranty work done on it by an Irish dealer in year 3 of the original BMW warranty with no problem.
    That's not what the warranty agreement states. I'd say you were lucky and it wasn't noticed.

I don't think luck came into it to be honest. Warranty work needs to be approved by BMW in advance before the dealer will go ahead with it. If it's not approved then either the dealer pays for it out of their own pocket or the customer has to pay for it. I didn't buy the car from the dealer in question nor was the car serviced by dealer so I couldn't see how the dealer would offer any goodwill to me in paying for it out of their own pocket. In saying that this was about 10 years ago so things may have changed since then regarding the 3rd year of the warranty but BMW Ireland and BMW UK are still the same company.

I've got some warranty work done by Duffy on my ex UK G30 just few weeks ago. The car is well over 2yrs so full terms are honoured no problem. Same as UK service pack.

Sent from my SCM-W09 using Tapatalk