Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E60 m5

BMWHaus Guru

Question E60 m5

Considering one of these but only if I find a properly clean example with all the weak points addressed - or as many of them as possible - (Bearings, actuators, SMG Pump, Clutch, Vanos)... It'll still break, but at least the main stuff should be sorted.

Not fussed about colour or spec, but must have reasonably low miles and ideally be an LCI.

Anything out there?

Eisenmann / aftermarket exhaust is a bonus

I've seen what's currently on donedeal.

Are you swapping M3 Peter or thinking about 18 cylinder stable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by wcooba View Post
    Are you swapping M3 Peter or thinking about 18 cylinder stable?

I wouldn’t mind an 18 cylinder stable but no, the M5 would replace it (if I can find one as clean as the M3!)

The M3 is really special, but with baby no. 2 on the way it’ll make more sense. I kept an eye on donedeal e60 run arounds and X5s and all I’ve found is overpriced mega mile rubbish for sale and I’ve never been a fan of the 2 car thing anyway so the M5 will be the all in one solution.

I’m considering multiple options/solutions though. I may go for a leftfield choice if one presented itself

E60 m5

Congrats on the 2nd little one on the way!
    E92 while pretty practical for a sports car, family car is not. Btw. looks like UK F10s are getting in under £20k bracket now.

Edit: looks like F10s are in unpalatable highest co2 tax rate :/

Last edited by wcooba; 27-08-20 at 07:52.

BMWHaus Guru
    What about an E90 M3?

Administrator
    Nah, I suggested that to him and was shot down!

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
    What about an E90 M3?
    Not enough room for 2 little ones. It was a bit cramped when we had a lowly 320d

BMWHaus Guru
    Jaysus - how big are children these days?

Back in the '70's we easily got 4 of us in the back of my dad's mk3 Ford Cortina without the need for amputations or lasting physical damage for journeys long and short. Admittedly, that was pre-rear seat belt requirement.......
    Current: BMW 530e M-Sport - '17, BMW 630i Sport auto - '07, BMW 325i Coupe - '93, BMW Z4 2.5si Auto - '07, '90 BMW 316i Lux.

Previous: BMW 328i Coupe - '96, BMW 530i SE auto - '07, BMW 530i Sport auto - '02, BMW 318i SE Touring - '07, BMW 330Ci Sport - '04, BMW 520d SE - '11, BMW 523i SE - '00, BMW 328i SE Touring - '00, BMW 523i SE - '97, BMW 323i SE - '98, 330Ci - '00, 325i Coupe - '93, 318Ci - '01, 316iSE - '98, 325iSE 2dr - '91, 320i Conv - '91, 325i Coupe - '92, 320i 2dr - '91.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by dergside View Post
    Jaysus - how big are children these days?

Back in the '70's we easily got 4 of us in the back of my dad's mk3 Ford Cortina without the need for amputations or lasting physical damage for journeys long and short. Admittedly, that was pre-rear seat belt requirement.......
    I know and when myself and the brother were growing up, our family car was the E21 320

It's really the bulky child seats that take up the space.

BMWHaus Guru
    So I drove Ian’s old M5 today. First off it’s a seriously clean car inside and out, wheels are spotless and it’s generally in good nick. Credit to him and the first owner. The Eisenmann is lovely without being obnoxious and crackles and pops on the overrun. It’s a surprisingly comfy car too, nice and smooth in standard 400bhp mode and properly quick in 500bhp “M” mode. It's also a bit of a hooligan and is quite tail happy compared to the e92, which is fun.

Elephant in the room is obviously the SMG, driving it in real world conditions (as opposed to in an e46 M3 in the mountains!) it’s definitely clunky and feels outdated, you have to really negotiate with it unlike the “sit in and bang through the gears DCTs” but I did get used to it on the drive and managed to get smoother shifts out of it. It would’ve been fantastic with a DCT or a manual but there is a novelty about it.

Thing is... back to back with the e92 - the M3 is tighter, sharper, harder, louder and feels significantly more robust. There’s an air of solidity about it that the e60 lacks, the e60 feels more fragile and gut feeling is it might end in tears...

There’s a reason there’s such a fuss over these cars though, that V10 is such a special engine and the e60 is one of my favourite BMWs lately. I still want one, but the lack of big ticket items being done on this one is just a bit unsettling.

Will have to have a long hard think about it.

It would be the ultimate 2 car garage though...! 😍

Shout out to Shane who came to look at it with me, his feedback was positive too.