Long story short, there is a possibility that I may end up relocating (quite far) outside of the capital in the near future. I'd still be working from Dublin, so this would mean about a 2 hour commute (each way), but I'd be hopeful this could be supplemented by at least a couple of days a week working from home, which seems a more likely prospect now given the last 6 months we've had with Covid.

Anyway, I had been holding out for some time that my next daily driver would be an M car of some sort, but I assume a commute like this throws that idea out the window.

Realistically would I be right to say that a big frugal diesel is still really the only way to go with a commute like this, or has fuel economy on petrol cars improved in recent years to the point that it could still be feasible with a somewhat performance oriented petrol car? Does anyone have any suggestions for a car that might tick both the economy and performance boxes?

I've worked and lived in Dublin my whole life so never had to really consider this before, so apologies if these are silly questions!