Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Covering decent miles on a regular basis necessitates certain things for me. Comfort, reliability, safety and driver aids, space and auto box. Manual and traffic becomes tiresome very quickly especially at the end of a tiring day or week. The same would apply to something highly strung that involves effort to drive. On any given day you could be fatigued from a bad nights sleep, winter v summer driving etc etc. Performance really isn’t a huge concern as the speed traps will take the shine off that quick enough. Most 2 litre diesels will huddle along quite well. Driving. Position plays a part too. Cruiser boy v recommended advanced driving position. This is what a use currently. I was behind the wheel for over 7 hrs and 650km one day last week. No aches or pains.

Just to reiterate what Andy said and its something that I forgot about, driving position plays a major factor. You want comfortable seats, my lower back ended up quite sore in the M135i due to lack of lumbar support, its not something you notice immediately but its not fun!

I worked in Clontarf and used to commute from Drimnagh and it was an hour each way in horrible traffic. I'd take a longer motorway commute with the cruise on any day of the week. See if your employer will allow some flexitime if you have to go to the office so you can avoid rush hour traffic, start early and finish early or vice versa.

My total driving was 2.5 hours to 3 hours a day, so nearly 40 hours a month stuck in my car so you really have to cost in the wasted time along with missed opportunities with family etc in the evenings. I costed in the time spent in the car along with the cost of commuting before I moved back to the country. I have a house with a nice view that I'd never have been able to afford similar in Dublin so it was totally worth it for me. (Plus its not in Dublin so there is that bonus too )