Thread: Mondello

BMWHaus Guru

Mondello

My wife is organising a trip to Mondello for her dad as a Christmas present. I’ve never been but apparently there’s a choice of cars you can use and she was asking my view on which would be best out of: M2, M4, M8, 911C and Boxster S.

I’ve never driven any of these, but my instinct would be the M2, although the 911 I’m sure would be a lot of fun too.

Anyone have any thoughts?

BMWHaus Guru
    The 911's are probably the worst of the options there - the instructors there will happily tell you the Boxster S is better on track. The M2 is great fun - it'd be my choice (again!)

BMWHaus Guru
    M2 for sure, but it felt so short that it’s hard to recommend it to someone.

BMWHaus Guru
    I had the Boxter at an event there last year and it was a blast. Maybe not the most powerful option but very nicely balanced and enough power to be able to modulate the car with the throttle as well as the tiller.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I preferred the M4 because I felt the M2 was a bit tight on space. Drive both, there is a package that does them both.
    Current: '03 E46 Individual M3 Cabrio, ‘00 E38 740i Sport.

Previous: '05 E46 Individual 320Cd Coupe, '01 E38 Individual 728i, '98 E36/7 Z3 1.9, '98 E36 323i Sport Coupe, '97 E36 318i Cabrio, '05 E53 X5 3.0i Sport, 2010 E89 Z4 S-Drive 23i and '01 E36/7 Z3 2.2i Sport

BMWHaus Contributor
    The 911 is very tired
    A few of us done mixed day drifting,auto test,911 & single seater it was very enjoyable

BMWHaus Guru
    Actually yes, the drifting is infinitely more fun! And so much more worth it. I went back for an extended session.

BMWHaus Guru
    I wonder what the M8 is like? I would have thought that Mondello is quite a small, tight track for such a big beast

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos View Post
    I wonder what the M8 is like? I would have thought that Mondello is quite a small, tight track for such a big beast
    I did the full set a few weeks ago(generous christmas present). Mini was a bit dull, M2 was good but felt a bit light, I prefered the M4 more planted, M8 was too big and didn't really get into its stride till the end of the straight. It's the short track and you only get 4 laps so the constant changing cars is a bit fustrating. Just getting the hang of one then you have to 'learn' another. That said I've only driven there one other time so very much a track noob. In fairness I was only to to 'brake a bit earlier' once.

For the money I was underwhelmed, it was over in 30 mins and was all very low key. BMW first are now doing a 'Mondello Park Experience' basically bring a friend for free. Annoyingly I only spotted this after doing mine.

Any more Q's let me know.

BMWHaus Guru
    Thanks for the input all, very informative!