Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggest a 640d alternative

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hooch View Post
    I don't know about that, I watched a revenue presentation yesterday and it seemed be confirm the contrary. Vat and duty will be due on cars from UK at the point of entry.
    That's assuming no trade agreement, and also - all UK cars registered until the end of this year have already had EU VAT and duty paid.

Quote Originally Posted by kdevitt View Post
    and also - all UK cars registered until the end of this year have already had EU VAT and duty paid.
    Well that’s very grey area. European cars haven’t had duty paid as they were intra-EU imports at that time. Also the fact that car was registered in the UK doesn’t necessarily mean it had EU vat paid, and I’m sure onus will be on the importer to prove that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    VAT was paid to the UK exchequer - which was a European entity. Quite clear precedent on that based on the low mileage cars that come in here which you reclaim VAT from UK and pay here. Either way, sounds like there will be trade deal!

Get yourself an m135i/m140i maybe? Great cars but I'm a bit biased. Cheap tax per bhp too

Hopefully there will be a deal!

On the vat - there are some edge cases where car is uk registered but vat wasn’t paid. One example would be a car brought by expat from Australia, but I’m sure there are more. How would you prove if EU vat was paid or not having only V5C at hand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kdevitt View Post
    VAT was paid to the UK exchequer - which was a European entity. Quite clear precedent on that based on the low mileage cars that come in here which you reclaim VAT from UK and pay here. Either way, sounds like there will be trade deal!
    I understand your point Ken, and there is some merit I would think. But there could be a grey area if a car was bought by a business, the VAT reclaimed and a disposal occurs after Dec 31st. That could make it a bit of a minefield when buying.
    Current: BMW 530e M-Sport - '17, BMW 630i Sport auto - '07, BMW 325i Coupe - '93, BMW Z4 2.5si Auto - '07, '90 BMW 316i Lux.

Previous: BMW 328i Coupe - '96, BMW 530i SE auto - '07, BMW 530i Sport auto - '02, BMW 318i SE Touring - '07, BMW 330Ci Sport - '04, BMW 520d SE - '11, BMW 523i SE - '00, BMW 328i SE Touring - '00, BMW 523i SE - '97, BMW 323i SE - '98, 330Ci - '00, 325i Coupe - '93, 318Ci - '01, 316iSE - '98, 325iSE 2dr - '91, 320i Conv - '91, 325i Coupe - '92, 320i 2dr - '91.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by dergside View Post
    I understand your point Ken, and there is some merit I would think. But there could be a grey area if a car was bought by a business, the VAT reclaimed and a disposal occurs after Dec 31st. That could make it a bit of a minefield when buying.
    But that would then be VAT free sale UK Side. In the case of someone importing the car from Oz or whatever to UK first, the car will be tax compliant prior to Brexit. Anyway, its an issue for another day!

BMWHaus Guru
    Will be interesting to see what budget day brings today - with the top tax rate apparently going up by €50 I can't see massive increases in motor tax, but the VRT might be a a different story. With that in mind - I'm restricting my search for any diesels to currently imported cars at the moment, will probably pop out to look at a 640d gran coupe at the weekend. Am also going to look into importing a 530e - VRT is already very cheap, but will be curious to see what impact the budget has on that. I prefer the looks of the 6er but the 5er feels far more future proofed from the Greens.

BMWHaus Guru
    A month on - did you pull the trigger at all yet ?

UK trade deal is still up in the air, so nobody knows what to do at all......
    Current Daily: 2008 Lexus GS300 Sport F/L
    Current: E39 525i M Sport (Titan Silver)
    Previous: E34 520i SE (Orient Blue)

BMWHaus Guru
    It’s not that easy to buy anything at the moment in the UK, given the restrictions with their lockdown. Only dealers that can do Click and Collect open and then only for collections, no viewings. I’m trying to see if I can get a deal done on a car. I have brother close enough to the dealer but no viewing possible. I’m a bit uncomfortable with paying upfront for a car that I, or anyone I trust, hasn't seen.
    Last edited by dergside; 16-11-20 at 13:19.