Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggest a 640d alternative

BMWHaus Guru

Suggest a 640d alternative

Am doing some (virtual) car shopping at the moment - will probably buy something but not in a rush. Its to be my daily - doesn't necessarily need to be practical in terms of carrying luggage of kids, but I'm not paying big motor tax anymore so that rules out a lot of options. Kind of means I'm looking towards something diesel as a result. 640d coupe and gran coupe have been of interest for a while - but I'm got a nagging feeling I'll find them as dull as dishwater, even though I've had them out a bit and quite like them.

Any alternatives people can think of? Needs to be cheap to tax - and relatively cheap to buy (<€25k)...and on a D plate

BMWHaus Contributor
    An extra 5k would get you a g30 530e m sport. That's what I'd buy if looking for a saloon car.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ian.j View Post
    An extra 5k would get you a g30 530e m sport. That's what I'd buy if looking for a saloon car.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Yeah I know - but thats more than likely an option for when I'm replacing the family car - its very sensible!

BMWHaus Guru
    CLS? E Class Coupé? A7? XJ?

Or wild card XK for 15k and spend some of the 10k change on extra motor tax to enjoy the V8?

I drove a couple of 640d (friends cars) including a really low mileage nearly new one and I was bored by the end of the drive. They’re pretty powerful, sound good, look good, can be economical, cheap to tax and can be very nicely specced yet there’s something missing! You just don’t love them or they don’t excite.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36 View Post
    CLS? E Class Coupé? A7? XJ?

Or wild card XK for 15k and spend some of the 10k change on extra motor tax to enjoy the V8?

I drove a couple of 640d (friends cars) including a really low mileage nearly new one and I was bored by the end of the drive. They’re pretty powerful, sound good, look good, can be economical, cheap to tax and can be very nicely specced yet there’s something missing! You just don’t love them or they don’t excite.
    Not sure I'll ever get behind the wheel of a Merc, but I actually quite like the Jag XE. Probably still very sensible. Might have a goo at some Audis.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I've spent a lot of time in a friends Maserati Ghibli. Lots of people hate them but I love them, even in diesel guise. De-chrome the exterior and I think they're a cracking looking car with a great sounding diesel engine. My friends is black with a saddle brown interior and it feels like a special car.

XE will have in-house JLR 2.0 diesel engine known for timing chain issues (ironic to post it on BMW forum ). I had first gen XF for few years and well, build quality is nowhere near "the Germans"

A7 is a solid car, very planted and great for long distance cruising. Not particularly fun on twisties though.

+1 for 530e - the best of all saloons I had. Comfortable but also surprisingly agile. Or have a look at F30 330e - plenty of those around.

Sent from my SCM-W09 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    I should probably clarify that when I say its my daily, its just my main car - I don't drive to work, so I could get away with a two seater if I need to. The family car is an F31 though, so another F30 would be very samey I reckon, unless it was M powered of course.

Then don't buy a diesel man. Life is too short and all that Modern 2l petrols are relatively cheap to tax. Z4, golf R, maybe even latest gen. TT should be within that budget.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by wcooba View Post
    Then don't buy a diesel man. Life is too short and all that Modern 2l petrols are relatively cheap to tax. Z4, golf R, maybe even latest gen. TT should be within that budget.

Oh it doesn't have to be diesel - just not paying big motor tax!