Thread: Power steering fluid

Power steering fluid

The pipe under the power steering fluid reservoir has always had a slight weep I want to nip it in the bud this weekend anyway I checked the reservoir this afternoon and its below the minimum mark on the dipstick (no warning light presume you dont get one)

Anyway I want to swap out the old power steering fluid what do I replace it with atf fluid is it ? Does it comes in grades like oil ?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Power steering fluid

Usually says on the lid of the resevoir.

For your car ATF fluid is fine.

Those pipes always fecking leak. I've stuck an extra jubilee clamp at the top of the hose to try and stop the weeping in the past.

Proper fix is to cut the top off the hose and refit a new oem clamp or to replace the entire hose with new clamp.

Re: Power steering fluid

Cheers john yep its a common problem iv seen it on a few , so any atf fluid will do from a motor factors ?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Cheers john yep its a common problem iv seen it on a few , so any atf fluid will do from a motor factors ?
    Yep. Dexron 2 or 3 would be grand.

The only cars that use special fluid are the likes of E38's, E31's and E34's with SLS and other hydraulic systems that run off the power steering pump.

Excellent cheers

This suitable john ? Doesn't say atf on the bottle says power steering fluid he says it is though what do you reckon
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    This suitable john ? Doesn't say atf on the bottle says power steering fluid he says it is though what do you reckon
    Anything that says Caterpillar has to be 100%!

Will be grand. I've used Castrol ATF Dexron 3 in my wagons. Standard ATF or power steering fluid is fine unless stated otherwise on the lid of the resevoir.

Good man puts the mind at ease